Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cloud79
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,567
Message 1 of 19

ThinkPad W510 and Qualcomm Gobi 2000 9205

Hi all,

I've just bought a new ThinkPad W510 equipped with the Mobile BroadBand Option: Qualcomm Gobi 2000 HS-USB Mobile Broadband Device 9205.

I've installed from scratch Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit as the Operating System and then I've updated every specific driver using the Lenovo ThinkVantage System Update v.4.0 utility.

So, in Network and Sharing Center, I've a new running Mobile BroadBand Connection labeled as Verizon Wireless and then it comes my problem.

I'm writing from ITALY and in my country there is NO Verizon Roaming Connection available. I'm also using a pre-paid contract SIM card with Vodafone IT provider, inserted in the correct back-battery SIM-slot.

Is there a way to configure the Gobi 9205 device to work correctly with Vodafone provider?

I've just searched a lot on google without results. The only suggestions derive from this web page: CLICK HERE

But it seems to be a specific GobiLoader for Gobi 9201/9202 device and not for mine 9205. I've tried to launch the loader.exe but it seems that the file and some specific informations about the firmware/driver mismatch from the two versions.

So, is there any official Lenovo way to use Mobile Connection with Vodafone provider?

Thank you all in advance!

cloud79
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,418
Message 2 of 19

Re: ThinkPad W510 and Qualcomm Gobi 2000 9205

Hi guys,

after a research inside the driver unpackaged folder I've found a Readme doc file.

I've found the way to install another firmware for Gobi 2000 9205 with specific provider informations.

After a complete uninstall of Qualcomm Gobi 2000 drivers, at the command prompt, in the folder with the unpackaged driver, I need to enter this string:

Setup.exe /i /l DEFAULTIMAGE=0 GPS=1 WIN7DRIVER=1 LOCATIONDRIVER=1

where the "DEFAULTIMAGE=0" substring indicates the provider to use.

It seems that installation process completes fine, I can find inside the "C:/Program Data/QUALCOMM/" folder, a log file which indicates that the firmware loaded is the one from the "0" folder, where "0" means Vodafone.

These are the informations about the folder with the corresponding firmware I've found on google:

Vodafone 0
Verizon 1
AT&T 2
Sprint 3
T-Mobile 4
Generic UMTS (North America) 5
Generic UMTS (Europe) 6
Telefonica 7
TIM 8
Orange 9
Telstra 10

But the problem is not solved. Despite the Vodafone information has been clearly written inside the log file, in my Network and Sharing Center there is always "Verizon Wireless" as WWAN network connection :-(

How can I solve this problem? Why is the Verizon provider persistent even if I've installed the driver with the "0" (Vodafone) default image? Where am I wrong?

I'm an IBM of Italy employee and I need a working WWAN connection with Vodafone provider ASAP.

Thank you in advance!

mtissington
Token Ring
Views: 19,398
Message 3 of 19

There is a post somewhere on these forums about someone who go it to work ... but I can't find it.

If I remember correctly he had to create a NEW profile in Access Connections using the Custom Settings option.

cloud79
Fanfold Paper
Views: 19,369
Message 4 of 19

Please can anyone help me to find the topic above?
stasik
Punch Card
Views: 19,354
Message 5 of 19

I buy a card for my w510 p/n 60Y3182 - GOBI 2000 and my default connection is verizon.

I want to change it to generic UMTS.

here is an official way to do this: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-75433

BUT IT DOES NOT WORK!!!

I live in Moscow and here no a verizon here Smiley Happy

what i need to do? thank you

Stas.

codethief
Punch Card
Views: 19,308
Message 6 of 19

I, too, made the experience that the Access Connections Software often shows "Verizon" as carrier although I'm with o2 Germany.

But as there's still that other annoying bug somewhere in the Gobi firmware I can't even tell you what to do to get it working properly. Maybe it's even this bug which causes the AC software to display "Verizon". I remember (I'm not using Windows that often) that sometimes a few reboots, closing and reopening the AC software or enabling the wireless kill switch did the trick. However, I suppose that again has rather something to do with that other bug.

Feel free to dig through those 13 pages of complaints in the other thread. Maybe you're having exactly the same issue and describing just a symptom?

jkoivula
Punch Card
Views: 18,827
Message 7 of 19

I have the same issue here with T410i (2518-R8G ). Adapter properties shows Verizon Wireless and CDMA, instead of Elisa (local operator) and GSM.

On my personal, almost identical laptop (2518-FNG) Elisa HSPA is working nicely. I was surprised how it works (on Windows 7) without any addition software, now I'm less amused...

My changes are to RMA the adapter, if Lenovo doesn't come with a bright idea soon.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 18,823
Message 8 of 19

@mtissington wrote:

There is a post somewhere on these forums about someone who go it to work ... but I can't find it.

If I remember correctly he had to create a NEW profile in Access Connections using the Custom Settings option.

Regarding the use of Gobi 2000 and the non-Verizon networks, there's a solution here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge/Thinkpad-3G-WWAN-No-Good-Faulty-marketing/m-p/243775#M682

And a Knowledge Base article here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/Configuring-Mobile-Broadband-with-Gobi-2000-ou...

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 18,820
Message 9 of 19

Hi stasik!

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "IT DOES NOT WORK"?

It doesn't install the firmware you choose? It does install the firmware you choose but you still can't get your Gobi 2000 to work? Do the above solutions help?

Thanks!

@stasik wrote:

I buy a card for my w510 p/n 60Y3182 - GOBI 2000 and my default connection is verizon.

I want to change it to generic UMTS.

here is an official way to do this: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-75433

BUT IT DOES NOT WORK!!!

I live in Moscow and here no a verizon here Smiley Happy

what i need to do? thank you

Stas.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
jkoivula
Punch Card
Views: 18,806
Message 10 of 19

Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm not using Access Connections here. Also, operating system is  Windows 7 Enterprise edition (64-bit), not Lenovo preload. I may have missed some software/tools/whatever during the initial install and configuration. System Update loads most of the drivers and software, but not necessary all.

On my PC I have Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools -> 3G Mobile Broadband. It says "featuring built-in Elisa BroadbandConnect". But I only installed this software yesterday, so it's definitely not needed. Same goes with Access Connections, I'm not going to install it just for that purpose.

Like stasik, I have tried to re-install the GOBi 2000 driver/firmware loader with SETUP.EXE DEFAULTIMAGE=6. But still the Properties windows says CDMA, no connection or anything. New adapter could solve this...

I will contact Lenovo support tomorrow, the inquiry via reseller didn't work.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors