Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emasloski
Paper Tape
Views: 2,989
Message 11 of 30

Re: ThinkPad W530: Blank Screen/Weird Colorful screen on Lid Open

I am having the same issue with my 2nd w530. The 1st w530 had major issues, I received a new replacement.

This replacement-

Lenovo replaced the screen.

Lenovo replaced the mother board and base for my ultrabay.

The screen 3 times already today.

Has anyone found out what the issue is?

cedriccjmusic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,983
Message 12 of 30

WOW man! I hope your troubles don't turn you completely away from ThinkPad notebooks.

Well, for whatever reason, once the motherboard was replaced, I haven't experienced this issue yet. For this reason, it's my guess that the motherboard is the real issue at hand.

Perhaps the motherboard you received is faulty.

I wish this issue would be solved. ThinkPads are too powerful for such annoying issues! This is a legitimate, serious issue; it can cause you to loose work!

Kruskal
Punch Card
Views: 2,941
Message 13 of 30

I received my replacement today.  I tried shaking it and picking it up by its screen -- all things that tended to give the beautiful screen.   Nothing.  Solid.

Fingers crossed -- Vincent

cedriccjmusic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,929
Message 14 of 30

Cool man! It's been about a month since my motherboard has been replaced, and I haven't had this issue.

cchiappa
Punch Card
Views: 2,880
Message 15 of 30

I've had the same problem sporadically, coincidently along with my (after-market) SSD getting disconnected while running.  Most recently I got the rainbow pattern on my monitor and on reboot my SSD wasn't detected...fiddling with the drive and rebooting, it was fine.  I've been pretty suspicious of the W530's hard drive bay, it does not seem to hold the drive as solidly as the T42 and T61 I had before this.  If anyone else is having sporadic problems like this, maybe try padding your drive bay to hold the drive more snug?  This is on my TO-DO list, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

cedriccjmusic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,875
Message 16 of 30

Hmmm...Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

***UPDATE***

I haven't experience the rainbow screen issue since my screen (connection cable), and motherboard has been replaced.

It definitely pays to have the accidental coverage.

jg_w530
What's DOS?
Views: 2,864
Message 17 of 30

I've been having this same problem with my W530 for over two months now. For the first six weeks, it only happened twice. I talked to my company's IT guy about it, so he opened up a service call for me. My screen was replaced first, by a horrifically incompetent Lenovo technician. I could tell when he removed the screen connector that he broke it by pulling straight up on it instead of pulling it out of its connection first. The next day, he brought another screen and a new cable. Still no joy. I fired that guy and took my machine to a competent repair person. He replaced the motherboard and the machine ran fine for three days. Then today, it did the colored horizontal lines three times. Yes, I lost work each time and almost totally corrupted a virtual machine I was running at the time. I've contacted my company's reputable repair folks and they'll have another look at it on Monday. The only component which hasn't been replaced yet, which might be the culprit, is the inverter, which is behind the screen. Maybe that's next. It is sad this is such a frustrating issue. This is such a killer machine. I'm glad I've still got my - dare I say it - Dell D630 as a trusty standby. Yeah, it was totally rebuilt three times, too. I didn't think I'd have that issue with Lenovo. At least my 2nd drive in my ultra bay, which I store my data on, will still boot up the D630.

cedriccjmusic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,852
Message 18 of 30

This is thee absolute worst!! For Lenovo to advertise such an awesome product, you would think that we wouldn't have such an annoying issue as this!

When I first started this thread, I wasn't sure how much response I would get. Boy, I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

It just makes me think, does Lenovo purposely send out malfunctioning machines to a certain percentage of customers that have Accidental Coverage? That way, Lenovo's hired contractors have work and get paid. 

I don't know!!!!

Rest assured, if this problem ever comes back to my Lenovo W530, LENOVO WILL DEFINITELY be replacing my machine ASAP!!!

Folks, I'm sure you will, but keep tracking of when your Accidental Coverage expires. I KNOW I WILL!

Liudas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,841
Message 19 of 30

I have my W530 since November. I would say the cause of SSD disconnection and rainbow screen is static electricity discharge. It seems that my machine is rock stable when it stands on the table, I can shake it in the air and nothing happens. It either disconnects SSD (and you get F4 BSOD after 15 seconds) or shows colorful screen mostly when I put my W530 on the couch (the one that has some tendency to have static electricity buildup). I have Agility and Corsair SSDs same happens with both of them (so it should not be SSD problem). I reproduced rainbow screen in BIOS (I put my W530 on synthetic bed cover and slid on it for a while).

Kruskal
Punch Card
Views: 2,833
Message 20 of 30

Annoying as the "colorful screen" is, I learned how not to lose any work. Putting the machine to Sleep and Waking it up cleared the condition. By turning OFF "password on restart", it doesn't even take much time.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors