Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cedriccjmusic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,204
Message 21 of 30

Re: ThinkPad W530: Blank Screen/Weird Colorful screen on Lid Open

I set my W530 to sleep on lid-close. But, sometimes it doesn't completely go to sleep. When you open the lid, the screen is blank.

It doesn't happen frequently though.

Kruskal
Punch Card
Views: 3,196
Message 22 of 30

I used the Power button to sleep myself.

When my W530 was failing it usually was with a "colorful screen" and Sleep worked. But rarely, the screen would go blank and the keyboard would lock. Only a reboot would work then.

I have neither problem with my replacement W530. I urge all who have this problem with new machines -- get a replacement.
apexcorner
Paper Tape
Views: 3,055
Message 23 of 30

I'm having this too. Exactly as described by OP. I really can't believe it - this laptop is supposed to be top of the range. My warranty requires it to be picked up and taken to depot (they send a courier round) so it's a real pain, it means I'm without a laptop for a week. I already had to have it taken away for something and they just sent it back saying they couldn't reproduce the problem. All this within 3 months of purchase! Unbelievable.

cedriccjmusic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,050
Message 24 of 30

Hey everyone.

For the new-comers to this forum post, I started it not sure if anyone had this problem.

This is such a disappointment. At times, my W530 screen still will not turn on after lid-open(it sleeps on lid-close).I've had it serviced twice.

Because I'm a college senior (Computer Information Systems major), I can't afford to get my laptop serviced right now. I'll have to wait until the summer.

BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY LENOVO WILL BE SENDING ME A BRAND NEW W530 AT THE START OF SUMMER BREAK.
Kruskal
Punch Card
Views: 3,038
Message 25 of 30

Re: ThinkPad W530: Blank Screen/Weird Colorful screen on Lid Open (Screen Blank on Wakeup)

Do you sometimes use a secondary monitor?  I have the problem of a blank screen on wakeup after disconnecting a secondary monitor and then sleeping.  It wakes up with the non-existent monitor as the primary (only) monitor.  Thus the laptop screen is blank.  I have never before seen a Thinkpad which would ever come up with a non-existent monitor as the only active monitor.

I get around this problem by using Fn-F7, Right-Arrow (1 or 2 times) and Enter.   It often takes a few tries.  Sometimes the laptop screen comes alive with the wrong settings and I have to restore it.  I use UltraMon, but the Control Panel-Display-Preferences would work too.  The desktop icons are often messed up and I use the UltraMon feature to restore them.

Vincent

cedriccjmusic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,036
Message 26 of 30

Re: ThinkPad W530: Blank Screen/Weird Colorful screen on Lid Open (Screen Blank on Wakeup)

Hey! Thanks for the suggestion.

While I do sometimes use a projector, I haven't in a couple of months. However, the next time I encounter that situation, I wil try fn+f7 ->right arrow and see what happens.

A1X
Token Ring
Views: 3,008
Message 27 of 30

Guys, this kind of crash happens on T420s too:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T420S-Crashing-into-TV-like-fuzzy-screen/td...
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Help-T420s-display-video-card-issue/td-p/74...

There were no reports that this is happening on machines with the discrete graphics, so far, but only on integrated graphics (HD3000) W530 has the discrete graphics so the culprit must be some other component that is shared by both platforms (or static electricity?). Some T420s owners said that the problem gone away after a systemboard replacement, others after two systemboard replacements or lcd/systemboard replacements. I have tested with 3 RAM sticks, I have changed my SSD (Samsung PM 810 -> Crucial M4), I had my systemboard replaced once (and probably I'll have it replaced again next week) - and nothing helped, the problem is still there. Anyway, it seems that the frequency decresead with the second systemboard, maybe disabling the touchpad helped (not sure about tough..).
Paper Tape
Views: 2,988
Message 28 of 30

I just have the same issue with my W530. and it was a bad GPU. after they switch´ed the motherboard, ther was no problems at all after that...

Sorry for OT but i did´t read all the post in this message

Guru
Views: 2,080
Message 29 of 30

I had the same issue in 'Discrete graphics' mode. What helped for me is this:

1. Go to the BIOS

2. Advanced // Display

3. Change Graphics mode from Optimus to Discrete graphics. Then boot into Windows and make sure everything is reconfigured or installed.

4. Shutdown the W530, go back into the BIOS, put it back into Nvidia Optimus mode.

5. Wait for everything to be reconfigured or installed upon first boot

6. Reboot

7. Test again.

Solution may also work in the opposite direction by going from 'Discrete' to 'Optimus'. This is what helped me getting rid of this issue.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

a2644o
What's DOS?
Views: 330
Message 30 of 30

My W530 had the same rainbow screen problem. This would typically occur when I moved the laptop. I ultimately found this was due to looseness of the battery. I added a coule layers of duct tape the top surface of the battery to make the fit of the battery into the laptop much tighter and haven't had an occurance since. Hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors