Kopoly
Paper Tape
Views: 769
Message 1 of 6

ThinkPad W530 Fingerprint Issues

Hi,

The fingerprint scanner LED on my W530 died. Here are the symptoms:

- Fingerprint reader is not recognized in BIOS

-I deleted the driver and its files from device manager but the TouchChip finger print processor reinstall itself.  The properties for the device is:

Device Type: biometric devices

Manufacturer: AuthenTec (I think the company has since been acquired by Apple)

- The following message shows up in the event viewer:  

"Driver Management concluded the process to install driver tcwbfadv.inf_amd64_5a48bf8b68a239ce\tcwbfadv.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_147E&PID_2020\6&387E66F3&0&3 with the following status: 0x0."

- ThinkVantage fingerprint software doesn't find the fingerprint reader

I concluded that this is a HW issue with the scanner.  I ordered a new fingerprint scanner for someone in China which looked just like the original (one never knows).  I installed the new scanner to no avail - no LED.  The cable connected to the fingerprint scanner is shared with the mouse. Since the mouse is working OK, there is a good chance that the cable is OK but I cannot be sure.

Anyone has any ideas on where I should go next?  It appears that the TouchChip fingerprint processor is working but something else is failing.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 754
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkPad W530 Fingerprint Issues

I believe there are 2 parts involved: the portion of the cable that goes to the reader, and there is a biometric corocessor on the motherboard.  One of those is probably the problem

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Kopoly
Paper Tape
Views: 712
Message 3 of 6

Richk,

Thanks for your thoughts.  The coprossesor appears to be intact as it is recognized by the device manager even after I deleted it ans the corresponding drivers.  I guess it is good that I don't have a motherboard issues (I'm out of my three year warranty).

Is it normal for the cable to get bad?  I believe the cable splits and part of it goes to power the touchpad.  Strangly enough, the touchpad and the five keys sourrounding it are just fine.

Cheers,

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 710
Message 4 of 6

The cable doesn't generally go bad by itself.  Look by the corners (turns) for cracks.  The touchpad and the fingerprint reader both connect as USB devices.  It is possible that the biometric processor or the USB hub chip is getting sick and something doesn't respond fast enough.  You might change the boot bode to "diagnostic" in the BIOS to slow things down. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Kopoly
Paper Tape
Views: 697
Message 5 of 6

I checked the USB and ran diagnostics on the motherboard.  All is OK.  I also switched to the Diagnostic Mode but I didn't observe any changes.  The LED used to blink when I turned the laptop on before but no more.  I agree that either the connector or the fingerprint scanner board is defective.  I think it is the board.  When I disconnected the board from the laptop and started it, the coprocessor disappear from the device manager.  When I reconnect it, the coprocessor reappeared.

Do you happen to know where I could order reliable parts?  Thanks for your help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 686
Message 6 of 6

IBM handles new parts sales for thinkpads in U.S.

http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/default/TopCategoriesDisplay?cntrfnbr...

Rich

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors