Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kjwang
What's DOS?
Views: 2,104
Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad W530 not turning on at all

Hi everyone!

I have had my ThinkPad W530 for a couple of years now and have been experiencing this problem basically from when I first got this laptop. When I try to power up the laptop, it does not turn on - sometimes it reaches the ThinkPad boot screen and I am able to enter the BIOS, but when I try to diagnose hardware issues, the computer turns back off. Sometimes I am able to boot into Windows or Ubuntu, but the computer turns off immediately after the boot (without bluescreening), or if i just let the computer sit for a couple of seconds. There are also other times where when I press the power button, the power button LED turns on for a second and you can hear the hard drive start spinning and then it just stops almost immediately and the power button turns back off, with nothing being displayed on the screen.

I am pretty sure this is not a harddrive problem because I have tried replacing the original harddrive with a harddrive that works. When I did this, at first, I was able to boot into Ubuntu (as I have that OS on the other hard drive), but after a couple of minutes, the computer turned back off. In addition to this, I have tried booting into an external bootable USB, but just as I was trying to boot into the device, the computer would turn back off.

I have tried doing these with the battery in and without the battery. I have also tried doing the "hard reset" by disconnecting the battery and AC adapter from the computer, holding the power button for ~30 seconds, and re-powering the computer back on, but this did not seem to solve the problem either. Besides this, I have also tried taking the RAM out and putting it back in (I don't know if this would actually do anything), but this did not help either...

It is a little frustrating beause I have sent the computer back in for repair about 6 times regarding this exact issue and each time, they have done something along the lines of replacing the motherboard, but the problem is still occurring. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Thank you all so much in advance!

FractualMonster
Paper Tape
Views: 2,024
Message 2 of 7

Re: ThinkPad W530 not turning on at all

Since you mentioned that you had the motherboard replaced, I am not sure whether my solution can be applied to your problem, but the things you described appear to be similar to what I experienced with my w530 (2436CTO, i73840QM): the power goes out irregularly and sometimes it doesn't turn on at all.

I had the issue for about a week. The machine was running great till the nightmare. At first, I thought it was dead. When I pressed the pwr button, the button light was on for a second. I also noticed the think light flashed. After hours of trying the tricks that you also discribed in your post, I was able to get it up and running by luck. I thouht the problem was solved until it suddenly shut down. And more unexpected poweroffs. I was blaming battery first, then RAMs, then power jack, finally I was able to narrow it down to the motherboard.

Here is a quick way to diagnose whether your problem has the same cause: firmly press the power slot ( left highlight in the illustration of the maintenance manual  page 100 ) and push the power button, if you can boot it up without issues, then it might be the same problem, which is likely that some connection in the motherboard near the power slot is wearing out.

Simple solution: fold a piece of paper into a short thick stick, slide in the gap between the magnesium structure frame and the right brass arm of the thermo fan (at where they cross), so that the board is effectively pushed down to enforce the power connection. It is a temporary solution, of course, for a $2000 laptop, but my machine has been running happily ever since.

kjwang
What's DOS?
Views: 2,014
Message 3 of 7

Hey Fractual Monster!

First of all, thanks for responding! I tried what you suggested doing, but sadly, no luck... It was able to boot, but not all the way into the operating system. Half way through, the computer would turn back off. Smiley Sad

Any other ideas?

Guru
Views: 1,996
Message 4 of 7

@kjwang,

Could your machine be overheating? Does it boot farther if it has been left cold overnight?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
kjwang
What's DOS?
Views: 1,958
Message 5 of 7

Sorry for the slow reply. I thought it could be an overheating problem at first because it did seem to boot a little farther if it has been left cold, but now, it's all the same. The computer only reaches the boot screen and shuts down almost immediately.

Any other ideas? 

Harris_Bhat
What's DOS?
Views: 1,257
Message 6 of 7

Thank you man you saved my life 😍😍😍 Again thanks a lot pushing the mentioned region did work for me...
Pandr0id
What's DOS?
Views: 1,050
Message 7 of 7

Can you please expand upon this solution?  Maybe with a picture of the aforementioned intersection?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors