cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yawnmoth
Punch Card
Views: 513
Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad W541 keeps crashing - should i send it in for warranty repair?

My ThinkPad W541 crashes and restarts on an almost daily basis now.

In Windows 10, if I go to View Event Logs -> Windows Logs -> System I see Critical events with Kernel-Power is the source:

• 2/3/2018 1:44:56 AM
  • 2/4/2018 12:58:29 AM
  • 2/4/2018 8:18:56 PM
  • 2/6/2018 9:44:39 PM

I'm also seeing lots of WHEA-Logger entries:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Internal parity error
Processor APIC ID: 4

The details view of this entry contains further information.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3567.event-id-18-microsoft-windows-whea-... discusses this error some but pretty much says the error can come from anywhere.

I tried to do a ram test with Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and that didn't show any RAM issues so I have no clue. I was thinking the easiest thing to do now would to send it to the depot for diagnostic / repair (it's still under warranty).

The problem I have with that proposal is two fold.

1. I'd just not ship it off with the hard drive inside it, which I imagine could hinder diagnostic.
  2. The problem is intermittent enough such that I can't guarantee the depot will if I were to mail it back to them.

Any ideas?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 501
Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad W541 keeps crashing - should i send it in for warranty repair?

Personally I would do the following if I were in your situation.

1. Do HDD and RAM swap (If you have spare). If you have dual or quad RAM then maybe try running single RAM first to see if problem persist. If able to narrow down to RAM or HDD then at least the service guys can just CRU the part to you instead of sending the whole laptop in. Also personally when it comes to random reboot,
memtest doesn't do justice based on previous experiences.

2. Ship the laptop to service partner without the HDD however do inform them that its an intermittent issue however if you have any way to "trigger" the issue then it would be great. Example using Chrome or any specific application then the chances of it random rebooting is higher.

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y530 ... Feel free to highlight any post which you have posted on the forum to me if no one have chimed in.
yawnmoth
Punch Card
Views: 451
Message 3 of 5

I'm wondering if it could be that the CPU is just overheating. I used CPUID HWMonitor Pro and it seems like it's running fairly hot pretty consistently, as the attached image shows for a random 5 minute interval.

The CPU utilization averages at around maybe 17% with a few one off peaks up to 50%. I'd post a pic of that but it looks like I can only do one attachment per post..

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 437
Message 4 of 5

Temperatures look too high, but I think they are not high enough to cause your symptoms

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Highlighted
DAVader
802.11n
Views: 430
Message 5 of 5

If you open the Lenovo Solution Center, it will tell you how much of your warranty is left:

Lenovo Sol Ctr_Warranty.JPG

DAV

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors