Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apinilla
Blue Screen Again
Views: 491
Message 1 of 2

ThinkVantage System Update failed on update bios and damage the computer

I have, or had a laptop purchased 9 months ago, therefore under warranty. Yesterday the ThinkVantage System Update recommended a BIOS update. After the traditional recommendations about what should not shut down the computer, the laptop is reset and started with the update.

During execution, displayed on a screen command, a message "ERROR XXXX. Press any key to continue." After press the key the laptop was freezedy was completely blocked. After an hour without seeing response and no sign of life, I decided to turn it off to confirm the disaster. The laptop was dead.

The laptop began to beep and would not start. Before the panic generated by the situation, I searched the forums where I found several cases that refer to the same problem and the insinuation that makes LENOVO about the customer's responsibility to avoid recognizing the warranty.

I was not looking for a BIOS update, it was recommended by ThinkVantage System Update, the software executed it and damage the equipment.

Besides being a damage caused by the ThinkVantage System Update, the situation gets worse when the answer given by support insinuates that the customer turn off the computer, so it is a CID (Customer Induced Damage) and therefore the guarantee does not cover it. I do not understand how LENOVO may imply that the responsibility of the customer. Really disastrous.

In conclusion, if you are not needing to make a BIOS update, it is preferable to omit the BIOS update messages given to ThinkVantage System Update, unless it is willing to buy, of your own money, a new laptop
jaylen71
Punch Card
Views: 438
Message 2 of 2

Re: ThinkVantage System Update failed on update bios and damage the computer

Have you tried opening up the laptop and resetting the CMOS?

I haven't found a procedure for a BIOS reset, but maybe Lenovo have one (HP for instance have a key combination at power on that brings up BIOS reset)

This link is quite old and don't know if it is still valid:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs-Knowledge-Base/How-to-do-a-quot-hard-reset-quot-on-many-la...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors