cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bennyj22
Paper Tape
Views: 303
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad 52 - DPC Latency test (pretty please)

I have an opportunity to join the Thinkpad army. 

The model I am looking at is: Intel Xeon E-2176M // 16GB // 512 SSD // NVIDIA P2000

The work I am in uses a lot of DAW (audio production) software, and I need low DPC latency levels.

It's a very quick test, using Latencymon: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6944-latencymon.html

Could someone please test and share with me?

I could only find a test with the P51 on Notebookcheck.

Thankyou!

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 265
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad 52 - DPC Latency test (pretty please)

I will test tormorrow.

But in that case I recommand Mac Book Pro or other Mac systems. 

When I was using P52, I encountered couple of audio issues.

It includes but not limited to:

1) HDMI audio output missing bug (in that case I had to reboot the system).

2) Audio driver failure at ramdom when I connected a bluetooth wireless headphone. (In that case I had to reconnect the headphone and in the worst case reboot is the only solution)

3) Sometimes system cannot align audio output to headphones correctly.

Besides these problems, my P52 had stability issue about some other drivers and BSOD occurs time to time. I already changed the MB to a brand new Xeon system with ECC RAMs, but the problem is never solved. (BSOD once a week or two) So I decide to just wait and see what happens after updating driver to upcoming versions. 

bennyj22
Paper Tape
Views: 238
Message 3 of 10

Thank you very much!

Your experiences definitely sound troublesome. Maybe I should look at a different Thinkpad. Smiley Indifferent

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 217
Message 4 of 10

제목 없음.pngIt's the output. It seems to never end up with itself so I stopped it.

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 215
Message 5 of 10

You didnt get what I mean. 

Why don't you just get a Mac?

I don't think windows pc itself is suitable for audio jobs, especially thinkpad.

bennyj22
Paper Tape
Views: 214
Message 6 of 10

Wow. Those are pretty good results. Better than what I could find on the X1 Carbon and significantly better than the X1 Extreme.

Thank you very much!

bennyj22
Paper Tape
Views: 211
Message 7 of 10

Because I like to game which you cannot really do on Mac. I also don't like their butterly keyboards. They are also outrageously overpriced.

I also massivly dislike their OS and their general aesthetic, but that's a seperate issue.

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 201
Message 8 of 10

That's true indeed.

I know some audio guys they said there's almost no available option except Macs. They usually do something like audio mixing or editing so that situation might a little bit different with yours. 

But I think thinkpad is also overpriced, especially P series. It was designed for non-broken/non-disruption/high-stability jobs, but terrible firmwares/drivers always make that hard to achieve and swipe away all fame from old generations. 

I guess the only advantage of thinkpad is its keyboard. Have to say, one can barely find any replaecable alternative from other makers. 

bennyj22
Paper Tape
Views: 197
Message 9 of 10

Interestingly, this list puts the P52 as the best windows machine for audio production - https://musicproductionnerds.com/best-laptops-for-making-music

However, I know lists can be deceiving. Often the person writing them hasn't done the research they pretend they have. Although this one does seem well put together.

I don't know... maybe it's just a case of hearing what I want to hear.

My only other option was to get the X1 Carbon. But then if I'm going ultrabook, I may as well get the Matebook X Pro. Everyone seems to love that. Well priced too.

God, this is what Mac users don't have. Choice. Too much of it.

helson73
Punch Card
Views: 184
Message 10 of 10

Honestly I haven't used any other makers except Thinkpad X/P and Macbook. So I don't know exact situation of other windows laptops. 

What I know is Mac OS is much more stable than Windows and audio guys I know all use Macs. 

If you insist on using Windows laptop, well, 

Carbon X1 6-th gen is indeed one of the best and well made laptop among thinkpads nowadays. I don't think matebook can be compitable.  The only limit is RAM capacity (16GB maximum) and CPU is not suitable for heavy work. My major is not music/audio so I have no idea about workload of audio production. Carbon X1 has another advantage that it's released 6 months earlier than P52 and the number of users of X1 is much larger than P52's so I guess most of firmware/driver issues are already troubleshooted. Also, X1 7-th is released so X1 6-th is much cheaper now. For 7-th gen, I won't consider it because it changed too much from 6-th gen (reduced thinkness for example, may cause thermal issue I guess), and there would be dozens of firware/drivers/design problems waiting for its buyers. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors