Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PakiEnigma
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,069
Message 1 of 12

Thinkpad P1 Gen 2 Battery Draining issue

Hi All,

I have thinpad P1 Gen 2 (4k, i7 Hexacore) for over 1 month now. The battery is draining really quick. Even with only browsing (on chrome) and notes taking with oneNote it is only giving a battery time of approx 3 to 3.5 hours maximum if i am lucky. I tried that old trick for disabling/enabling the Graphics card from device manager but it doesn't seem to help much.

Any ideas or suggestions will be highly appreciated in this regards.

Best Regards,

Muhammad

n1ete
What's DOS?
Views: 921
Message 2 of 12

Re: Thinkpad P1 Gen 2 Battery Draining issue

Just wanna confirm that i have the same Problem with my P1 gen2 and almost same configuration.
i got only a FullHD display so battery duration should be a bit better though.
looking further into the issues i noticed a battery drain always betwen 24w - 30w.I turned everything off in bios only to see the same consumption at the OS. So i suspecting a faulty mainboard or battery....any more Infos about this?
ML18
Paper Tape
Views: 847
Message 3 of 12

I am having the same issues, but I am only getting 2-2.5 hours of battery life even when the GPU is disabled, and the computer is in battery saver mode. I have the i7-9850H and 4k IPS display.

PakiEnigma
Blue Screen Again
Views: 842
Message 4 of 12

Nopes, no solution yet. I claimed the warranty and Lenovo offered to replace the battery. Let's see if it fixes the problem.
n1ete
What's DOS?
Views: 765
Message 5 of 12

any news so far?
ML18
Paper Tape
Views: 753
Message 6 of 12

What worked for me was actually re-enabling the gpu. I had disabled it but for some reason turning it back on fixed the drain. My battery life is still shorter than I would expect but it's over 4 instead of under 2. 

Maxalle
What's DOS?
Views: 565
Message 7 of 12

just want to confirm that I have the same problem.

Lenovo changed the battery and the situation got worse from 3 hours to 2 hours.

Massimo 

ML18
Paper Tape
Views: 517
Message 8 of 12

Turning it off and on again fixed my issue. My battery life has actually improved over the time I have had the computer, likely because of the updates to the bios and Intel power management updates. There have been a few nVidia driver updates as well. 

Highlighted
kevingt2
Paper Tape
Views: 421
Message 9 of 12

Same problem for me. 9750h, T2000, 4k ips. Bios updated to 1.27.  Other updates applied.  Battery Saver and nvidia disabled in device manager and I'm still getting horrible battery life while browsing and light professional work.  About 3hrs on battery from full charge. 

Coming from a Dell XPS 15, I'm really disappointed with the battery life in the P1 Gen 2. I could easily get 4-5 hrs from the 4k touch display and "H" chip.

I'm researching the MSI Prestige 15 with 10710u processor and nvidia 1650 gpu. Similar battery size and 4k display. Reviews indicate MSI is actually able to get better benchmarks from the ULV chip vs. what lenovo can do with the 9750h largely because of thermal throttling.  The battery life still isn't stellar on the MSI (I assume because of the 4k display), but sounds like it's easily do 4-5 hrs, longer with the FHD version.

I typically use my machine plugged in, but when I'm in long meetings or want to work remote, 2-3 hrs doesn't cut it.  Time to return?

Decision decisions.

ML18
Paper Tape
Views: 391
Message 10 of 12

Turn the graphics card back on. it sounds backwards but I'll explain. 

first, download the nVidia GeForce experience app and get the latest drivers for the graphics card. For some reason Lenovo Vantage and Windows have not provided updates for the graphics card drivers. 

to fix my drain, I disabled  and then re-enabled the graphics card.  From there on out I have just left it on and have been getting 6 ish hours on battery saver using it to take notes, type, and traverse the series of tubes. 

I can't tell you why it needs to be re-enabled to save power but it does. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors