Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevingt2
Paper Tape
Views: 516
Message 11 of 17

Re: Thinkpad P1 Gen 2 Battery Draining issue

Wow thanks! So far so good. I manually updated the nvidia driver to 441.12 and rebooted. I haven’t done a thorough test yet, but I only lost 10% battery over a half hour of usage on battery saver and screen at 50%.

I also noticed my machine didn’t Power Limit during a plugged in cinebench run after updating. It could be coincidence or other factors but previously, my machine would sometimes Power Limit Throttle a few seconds into a cinebench run, reducing CPU TDP to well under 45 watts while running fairly cool. My assumption is there’s a power management fix in the updated nvidia driver despite lack of clarity in their change log (closest thing refers to performance improvements).
PakiEnigma
Blue Screen Again
Views: 500
Message 12 of 17

After changing the battery, and updating all the drivers specially nvidia drivers via nvidia experience, I can get about 5 to 6 hours battery on an average usage. I guess that's the limit of this laptop. Lenovo shouldn't really advertise 14 hours, doesn't matter in which ever conditions they test for 14 hours, they can't be reflecting real world usage. They should market for real world usage and not lab tests. I appreciate their service quality, but these fake marketing strategies also loose customers.

mikefromcanada
What's DOS?
Views: 287
Message 13 of 17

This worked brilliantly to fix battery life issues on my P1 Gen2 - I'm still working with the service center to fix a few more bugs, but at least I can get through a 3hour class without dying now.

Thank you

ML18
Paper Tape
Views: 210
Message 14 of 17

Just as a FWIW, I have found when using benchmarks,and my "seat of my pants" personal experience that these laptops actually run better (i.e. Faster) when they are in power saver mode versus "performance" mode. Letting the processor run at the kind of temps "performance mode" does, and whatever else Lenovo has running in the background really seems to decrease performance. At least as far as I have experienced

kevingt2
Paper Tape
Views: 194
Message 15 of 17

What cinebench score are you getting? It sounds like something needs adjusting on your machine.

Out of the box, mine was running an old bios that's known to Power Limit Throttle quickly. In addition, an "Enable auto-detection" under Airplane Power Mode was checked in Lenovo Vantage. Lastly, undervolting with Intel XTU has made a big difference. Before and after cinebench scores almost doubled.

I now get a Cinebench R20 score of 2,620 and Passmark of 15,474

pjg
802.11n
Views: 150
Message 16 of 17

@kevingt2Out of the box, mine was running an old bios that's known to Power Limit Throttle quickly. In addition, an "Enable auto-detection" under Airplane Power Mode was checked in Lenovo Vantage. Lastly, undervolting with Intel XTU has made a big difference. Before and after cinebench scores almost doubled.

I now get a Cinebench R20 score of 2,620 and Passmark of 15,474

@kevingt2:  I have a P1 Gen 2 i7-9850H, 32 GB mem.  I get Cinebench R20 score of 2334.  The CPU Mark score is 13952.

Can you tell us precisely what you changed in Intel XTU ?

kevingt2
Paper Tape
Views: 144
Message 17 of 17

I simply under volted the relative core voltage in XTU, starting with -0.05 volts and gradually decreasing the relative voltage to -0.150. I have a p1 gen 2, 9750h. Note: I also had to update bios, manually download nvidia drivers, and turn off auto airplane detection. Benchmarks achieved while plugged in set to performance power setting.

Watch for throttling in XTU while running cinebench. It'll highlight where your bottleneck is. It's likely either Thermal Throttling (too much heat), or TDP Throttling. We are getting a little off topic though. There are other threads that talk about power throttling issues with the P1 Gen 2 and bios and setting options to resolve them.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors