Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michel8067
Paper Tape
Views: 611
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad P1 fan is running every minute

Hi,

I've been struggling with my brandnew P1 fan for 2 days now, and I'm afraid I am not the one winning...

It doesn't really make a difference which setting I use (intelligent cooling, performance or cool&quit): the fan runs every minute (or two) for a second or 5. even when I'm not working and only browsing, every minute: it starts, tuns for 5 to 10 seconds and off again. I can imagine that in those short period the cpu doesn't really get any cooler, so it needs to run again and again.

Really annoying, and I wonder whether it is really necessary because my previous laptop (also a high end machine) only ran the fan when I was compiling code or something similar. 

Just now I was having lunch so the laptop was idle, and it kept on starting the fan.

And besides the settings in the lenovo vantage software I can't seem to find any other way to control it. (well, found a setting in the bios, but then I had to deselect 'performance', and performance is the reason I bought this laptop.

Is there a way to make the fans run longer at a time? Or is maybe the max temperature set too low?

I find it hard to believe that a laptop needs to run the fans so often, even when I'm doing nothing (nothing is running chrome and outlook  and whatsapp and spotify (not playing music) and loaded visual studio but not using it). CPU usage is < 10%, memory usage is 11,5 GB from 32)

My device is a 8750H with 32GB RAM and 2 512GB SSD

Kharper
Paper Tape
Views: 596
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad P1 fan is running every minute

I have a new P1 as well. For the first week I had similar fan symptoms to what you describe. Maybe not 5-10 seconds but the fan was turning on and off constantly for no apparent reason.

I now have a new issue with my fan (you can see my thread) but the on-off fan symptom has disappeared and my laptop runs pretty quiet. All I did was install all the Windows/Lenovo upgrades and uninstalled all the programs I didn't require. I don't know exactly which action fixed it but hopefully you can try to do the same.

michel8067
Paper Tape
Views: 589
Message 3 of 10

Thanks. I will check to see if updating/upgrading works. Uninstalling software I am using now won't work, as I need it for work. I also didn't install everything yet, so I'm afraid it will be worse when I install SqlServer for example

Update march 7:

Installed all my software, fan is still going wild.

Update march 8:

Edited the BIOS that the fan does not run in performance mode but in balanced mode.

Not sure what it means, but I guess it throttles the CPU when it gets to hot instead of running the fans?

Still too much fan activity. Well, not in total I guess, but I would rather have it spin for a minute and then stop for a while than to run 5 seconds every minute. 

I think the balanced mode makes it start less often than the performance mode.

Update march 8:

Is this forum actually monitored by Lenovo people or is it more or less a way to 'type away frustration'?

501Creative
Paper Tape
Views: 460
Message 4 of 10

You're not alone. +1 for everything this guy says about a P1 with the Xeon processors. The fans are crazy annoying - and it doesn't seem like there's a rhyme or reason to it. 

There used to be some thirdparty software to fix fan issues (tpfancontrol) but that only worked for older T and W series (I refused to upgrade from my W530 until they introduced a 15" Thinkpad with the regular **bleep** keyboard).  

Mindriot
Fanfold Paper
Views: 446
Message 5 of 10

I returned my P1 for this reason, and for the bonded 4k touch panel. I have since purchased a P72 and it is not quite as annoying as the P1 was but it still has fan activity here and there.

On the P72, I turned off updates to the Windows Store using the group policy editor and that improved fan frequency. I also switched to Discreet graphics which I assume further improved things by taking graphics processing off the chip. I have the same XEON in my P72 as I had in the P1. Use the task manager to monitor the processes that use your fan, reserach them, and turn them off if possible / unnecessary. 

501Creative
Paper Tape
Views: 441
Message 6 of 10

I will say I found a post in the forums from last week, where a lenovo employee had posted a better bios that specifically addressed the thermal issues of the P1, and it does seem to help. So I think there were bios issues. 

I also think there are issues with the windows build lenovo shipped that are making the problem worse. It looks like programs are hanging once windows resumes from sleep, and not just the usual suspects (Chrome, PS). A lightweight file transfer program is hanging too - and eating 25% of the CPU. I know the devteam and we've been working with the crash reports. It looks like there's something ducky (well, rhymes with ducky-lenovo doesn't like badswears) going on with windows on resume from sleep. I have a W530 sitting beside it terminating the processes just fine - but it's got a clean MS copy of Windows 10. 

But of course the W530 was GOAT. 

Hartmannsson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 383
Message 7 of 10

Have you tried undervolting it?

Same story with all my Thinkpads, fan coming on and off until undervolted (using Intel's Extreme Tuning utility).  When undervolted, a lot quieter and sustaining up to 0.5GHz higher clock speed under prolonged CPU heavy loads.

• P50 Xeon 1535 -0.165V
  • X1C i7 8650 -0.95V
  • P72 Xeon 2176 -0.140V

There are plenty of articles online why this works.

P72 Xeon 96GB (2x 970 Pro RAID0 soon) | X1 Carbon 16GB 1TB
michel8067
Paper Tape
Views: 349
Message 8 of 10

Thanks. Will check of that makes a difference, if I don't resume but just reboot. 

Should be no problem, rebooting is quite fast. 

michel8067
Paper Tape
Views: 348
Message 9 of 10

Whow, that is out of my league I guess. Undervolting it. Sounds like something you have to know something about before you try it?

(This of course is a reply to the undervolting post, but this forum puts it just at the bottom, so I hope it's clear it should be seen as a reply to that post)

Hartmannsson
Blue Screen Again
Views: 324
Message 10 of 10

The good thing about undervolting is that the worst that can happen is BSOD.  You can incrementally find the optimum sweetspot by stepping -0.050V at a time, run for a while then reduce further.  When it crashes you either undervolt it back to the penultimate value or try decreasing by -0.025V.

E.g. what I did with the P50 Xeon:

-0.050V = fine

-0.100V = fine

-0.150V = fine

-0.200V = BSOD -> restart

-0.165V = fine & stable

What I've read that the factory voltage is based on tolerances but every CPU / batch can be just a tiny bit different.

And don't worry about it being stuck at an unsustainable level of undervolting, if (when) it crashes, the undervoltage returns back to 0.

P72 Xeon 96GB (2x 970 Pro RAID0 soon) | X1 Carbon 16GB 1TB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors