Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovo3user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,437
Message 1 of 20

Thinkpad P40 Yoga HDD

Hi,

I ordered for a P40 Yoga couple of days ago, inbuilt storage is 256GB SSD, there is an additional M.2 slot, can I add a 1TB HDD in that slot? Spec says max is 512GB SSD, so I am not sure about this. I hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance!

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,401
Message 2 of 20

Re: Thinkpad P40 Yoga HDD

There is some discussion on this under my review post. I think you'll find some answers there. Smiley Happy

Review Post

lenovo3user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,397
Message 3 of 20

Hi,

I read your review and found it helpful before making the order, thanks for that.

But I don't think I found a solution yet for my question, there is discussion on whether a 512GB SSD would fit in, that suppose answers a 1TB HDD would never?

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,380
Message 4 of 20

The primary drive is a 2.5", SATA 3, 7mm drive. I think they make 1 TB in that size, so I imagine you could install one of you wanted. I'll double check with Crucial System check when I get home. 

From the discussion it looks like a 42mm half-sized M2 drive will fit. The person who made the post said the biggest they could find was a 256GB for that purpose.

He added this as a 2nd SSD to use as a boot drive. 

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,377
Message 5 of 20

P40SSDs.PNG

lenovo3user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,369
Message 6 of 20

Thank you for this information, but I am planning to have hybrid storage, inbuilt 256GB SSD for boot and 1TB HDD (not SSD) for storing purposes.

lenovo3user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,360
Message 7 of 20

Is it possible?
ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,331
Message 8 of 20

Are you asking me if Lenovo will ship it that way? Or, if someone with the proper expertise can take the laptop apart and install the storage you're talking about? 

You might be able to get one of Lenovo's commercial dealers to do something like that. I don't think Lenovo will, but there is no harm in asking.

From what I've read, yeah you could do it yourself, but you'll want PC tools and some patience to get the keyboard off. 

lenovo3user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,316
Message 9 of 20

http://www.amazon.com/P40-Yoga-Workstation-Convertible-Computer/dp/B01CSZ19T0

If they can do it, I can as well, I think I got answer for this. And this video here will be helpful I guess,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj7azo6syQQ

Any 2.5" HDD should fit in the secondary slot. Thanks for all your time!!

ArthurHWalker
Token Ring
Views: 1,301
Message 10 of 20

The laptop in the video is an S1 Thinkpad Yoga. That's the machine I owned before the P40 Yoga. It is easier to service and upgrade. 

From the thread below where I posted my review one user said:

"The hardest part was getting the keyboard off. I went by the instructions in the Lenovo P40 repair manual that claimed to push down and up to remove, like my previous Think Pads. I would still be trying if I hadn't given up and found a better method online. When the indicated screws are removed use a plastic pry tool to break it loose from the back end then work around until all the plastic snaps have come loose. Same for removing the battery cover."

I'd recommend having even a cheap set of tools to have the plastic bone tools he's talking about. 

Maybe these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3CHLLC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cRDtxbC4RVKV0

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors