Did you mean: 
Highlighted
el_vandragon
What's DOS?
Views: 208
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad P50 Not charging

Hello,

My Thinkpad P50 is not charging at all, it used to charge sometimes (for about a day before it finally stopped working) if I adjusted the cable a certain way but only for a short while before it stopped. I used a multimeter on the charger to make sure that it was working and got a consistent ~20V reading from it which I belive to be the expected amount. This led me to believe that the charging port was faulty so I ended up ordering a replacement from ebay and just finished replacing the it; however that does not seem to have solved my problem. It is technically possible that I have gotten a faulty replacement, however it has also led me to believe that it could be the charging circuitry in the motherboard that is faulty. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check that?

Some symptoms of my issue are that when plugged in and powered off the orange light on the back does not light up, when powered on and plugged in (Win 10 x64) it does not recognize that it is plugged in at all. I have checked if it is in Airplane Power Mode but as far as I can tell I have made sure it is turned off. In Lenovo Vantage it also says that my battery is in good health (however I believe that should be irrelevant as the computer should run while plugged in). Does anyone have any reccomendations on possible remmedies?

EDIT: I also recently updated the BIOS is it possible that the new BIOS has caused an issue to occur? It is currently running BIOS 1.56 and the ECP is N1EHT38W.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 201
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad P50 Not charging

Original Lenovo adapter?  Wattage?

unplug the adapter and measure the resistance between the ground (outside face of rectangular connector) and the signal pin in the center of the connector.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
el_vandragon
What's DOS?
Views: 194
Message 3 of 5

Yes it was the original Lenovo 170W Charger, when I went to go check the charger it looks like the the cable from the wall to the block was not secure so I reseated that and it appears to be working now. I did some more checks and the old charging port does seem to be broken and it seems that since I had to wait for the replacement part I did not check the charger again when moving it to my workbench. Even though it's working I did check the resistence and it appears to be around 2.1 Ohms (although I'm using a crappy multimeter so it could be slightly less).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 187
Message 4 of 5

I hope you are talking about k-ohms.  It should be 1.9 k-ohms for 170-watt rectangular

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
el_vandragon
What's DOS?
Views: 153
Message 5 of 5

It appears that it is k-Ohms, my multimeter is not marked very well marked and it was not immediately clear to me. I have ordered a new charger anyways as I want to do some more tests to make sure that everything is functioning properly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors