Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
visaural
Fanfold Paper
Views: 440
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad P50 Win7: Intermittent fingerprint scanner "deactivation" on wakeup

Hello everyone!

This P50's a few weeks old and so far I love it. It's got everything I want except a keyboard backlight, a bottom that doesn't scuff, and this: A fingerprint scanner that sometimes refuses to work.

Let me explain this in detail.

The fingerprint scanner works around 9/10ths of the time after waking up from sleep. The light blinks when I place my finger on it, and I log in. However, 1 of every 10 times this happens: When I place my finger on the fingerprint scanner (showing a green light in this state), the green light turns off and no scan seems to take place. There's no authentication or error. When I release my finger, the green light comes back on again.

Is there any reason as to why this happens?

Thank you!

DAVader
802.11n
Views: 407
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad P50 Win7: Intermittent fingerprint scanner "deactivation" on wakeup

I have the same issue.

Sometimes, coming out of sleep, the fingerprint scanner won't register and I have to log back on using a password.

I've tried to identify a pattern for this behavior but, so far, I haven't found any.

Hopefully, Lenovo will find the cause of the problen and will issue a driver update.

Views: 382
Message 3 of 6

Re: Thinkpad P50 Win7: Intermittent fingerprint scanner "deactivation" on wakeup

Yeah, I wonder why this happens. Now it's happened on two consecutive wakeups to me, which is pretty much unacceptable.
JensDavid
SCSI Port
Views: 381
Message 4 of 6

I made a mistake and deactivated password-login, so the only way to log in was through fingerprint authentication. This is possible through a change in the windows registry. I was unable to log after some days and rebooting did not work either. The operating system was locked out and I was lucky to recover all files when using the "safe mode" option. The green light indicator just flashed twice when I tried to log in, but refused to work. I had to completely reinstall the PC, and now avoiding dependence on the new fingerprint reader. It feels unreliable and unsafe. This was on a P50 model with Windows 7 x64.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 353
Message 5 of 6

It's a bug of Windows 7 that has existed for years.  We have pointed it out to Microsoft, but they are done making funcational fixes for Windows 7.  We have tried to work-around the problem in the fingerprint driver, but even with our best attempts, this problem still happens occassionally.  Microsoft's feedback is that customers should upgrade to Windows 10 for the best biometric experience.  I know this is not what you want to hear (and we have told this to Microsoft) but they don't care.  You may be able to get fingerprint scanner working again by clicking on the "Switch User" or "Other Credentials" button at the logon screen.

visaural
Fanfold Paper
Views: 328
Message 6 of 6

Thank you for the info. I guess I'll just have to deal with these things until (or if ever) they come up with a fix.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors