cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thinkpader1998
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,203
Message 1 of 16

Thinkpad P50 can no longer get into BIOS from boot screen using 'enter' and 'F1'

I just received a brand new Thinkpad P50 with Windows 10 Pro. It originally came with a 256GB SATA M.2 SSD where Windows 10 Pro was installed. I was originally able to get into the BIOS settings by holding 'enter' during boot up where it displayed a message like 'to interrupt normal start up, press enter'. I know this worked before because I went in to check on the virtualization settings to enable them.

Upon booting Windows 10 Pro, I immediately used the Windows Backup and Recovery to take a full system image and created a Windows repair disc too. I then swapped the 256GB SATA M.2 SSD for a 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD and used the Windows repair disc to restore the system image onto the new 512GB SSD. The restore process completed successfully and rebooted, but at this point, the system would not reboot with error "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE". After a lot of messing about, I eventually did a "reset my PC" where it appears to re-install Windows and now it boots up just fine on the new 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD. Although not as smooth of a process as I would have hoped, but at least I made progress.

HOWEVER, now when I boot the machine, and I see the message 'to interrupt start up, press enter' message, pressing enter does nothing and it immediately boots Windows. The only way I can get back into the BIOS settings is:

1) boot into Windows

2) -> 'settings'

3) -> 'update & security'

4) -> 'recovery'

5) -> 'restart now'

6) -> 'Troubleshoot'

7) -> 'Advanced options'

8) -> 'UEFI Firmware Settings'

9) -> 'Restart'

Yes, that's a 9-step process to reboot the machine in order to get into the BIOS settings!!!

How can I get it back to where holding 'enter' will get me into the BIOS settings during boot up?

thinkpader1998
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,200
Message 2 of 16

Re: Thinkpad P50 can no longer get into BIOS from boot screen using 'enter' and 'F1'

BTW, I should mention, before anyone suggests it, my thinkpad is brand new and already has the latest BIOS version. I just double checked on Lenovo's bios download page for the P50 and it is v1.35. So, I don't think a BIOS update at this time will fix this. In any case, it was working before I swapped over to the NVMe SSD.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 20,178
Message 3 of 16

Re: Thinkpad P50 can no longer get into BIOS from boot screen using 'enter' and 'F1'

What happens if you do a restart and hit ENTER or F11 or F12?

I woudn't expect ENTER or the other Fn keys to do anything on a normal startup, since W10's shutdown and startup are more like hibernation and resume.  It generally isn't safe to modify BIOS in that state.

Try a restart or do a _full_ shut down and start up and see if you can access BIOS then.

Full shut down = SHIFT + shutdown -  or the 9-step process you describe.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

thinkpader1998
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,161
Message 4 of 16

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

What happens if you do a restart and hit ENTER or F11 or F12?

I woudn't expect ENTER or the other Fn keys to do anything on a normal startup, since W10's shutdown and startup are more like hibernation and resume.  It generally isn't safe to modify BIOS in that state.

Try a restart or do a _full_ shut down and start up and see if you can access BIOS then.

Full shut down = SHIFT + shutdown -  or the 9-step process you describe.

Z.

Thanks for the suggestion Z. I didn't even know that Win10 changed the behavior of "shutdown" with the "fast startup" feature... learn something new every day!

Unfortunately, that did not help. I tried doing a restart; no go. I tried doing a full shutdown; no go. I went into control panel and disabled the 'fast startup' feature, then shutdown the machine and powered it back on; still no go. I can't seem to enter the BIOS setting without booting Windows 10 and then going through the 9-step process...

Any other ideas?

Guru
Views: 20,139
Message 5 of 16

Reset the BIOS to default configuration, save it, full shutdown, reboot. Your functions should now be restored

The BIOS user data has been corrupted by the change in the boot drive.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.29, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
thinkpader1998
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,098
Message 6 of 16

@harrisb wrote:

Reset the BIOS to default configuration, save it, full shutdown, reboot. Your functions should now be restored

Harrisb: that was it!! thanks so much!

But, what is this "BIOS user data" you refer to?

Guru
Views: 20,044
Message 7 of 16

@thinkpader1998 wrote:

@harrisb wrote:

Harrisb: that was it!! thanks so much!

But, what is this "BIOS user data" you refer to?

The BIOS user data is the set of changes to the default configuration. Sometimes this area gets corrupted by Windows 10 for an unknown reason and causes what you experienced, but I do not know all of the sequences that makes this happen in the UEFI. I'm glad that the procedure worked for you.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.29, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
Felix09
Paper Tape
Views: 15,460
Message 8 of 16

Hey thinkpader, how did you reset the BIOS to default configuration??

im having the same problem on my P51 after a clean install...thanks in advance!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 15,445
Message 9 of 16

Boot into BIOS.  Hit F9 to load defaults

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Felix09
Paper Tape
Views: 15,406
Message 10 of 16

Rich, 

thanks for the reply, i did that and reset bios, and i was only able to see the "to interrupt start up, press enter" once after. then it disappears again after i shutdown and restart.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors