Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaylen71
Punch Card
Views: 3,525
Message 1 of 20

Thinkpad P50 left click

So far everything seems good on my new P50 apart from one slightly odd issue.

When I click on a target with the trackpad left mouse button, lets say the target is the start icon... the start menu will open, but then if I click the button again it will close and immediately reopen again (instead of just closing). If i move the pointer to a different part of the start icon and click then it will close ok.  Really quite strange.

This does not happen with the trackpoint buttons... they work as they should.  Same with tap to click - works fine.

My Synaptics driver is:  Synaptics Pointing Device, 19.3.4.37 (08/09/2016)

Windows says it is the latest driver.

Everything else about the trackpad and buttons seems fine.

Any ideas what coul dbe causing this?  It does not appear to be a random double click, as a slight movement to a different position on the icon makes the click work as intended every time.

causticphoton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,498
Message 2 of 20

Re: Thinkpad P50 left click

I have the same issue and my P50 is 1 day old, fresh out of the box.

I used a mouse click tester (http://unixpapa.com/js/testmouse.html) to diagnose the problem - the touchpad buttons (but not the track point buttons) are registering multiple clicks with the operating system instead of the single physical click.

When I uninstall the UltraNav driver for the touchpad, the problem goes away. You give up gestures and other fancy stuff like scrolling when you uninstall the UltraNav drivers, but at least it fixes the multiple-click issue.

jaylen71
Punch Card
Views: 3,493
Message 3 of 20

Yep I have confirmed (I think) that it is a driver issue.  I switched right and left touchpad buttons to see if it was a hardwae issue, but the issue remained.  Then uninstalled the driver and the issue went away.  I've noticed that it is also an issue in file explorer.  I actually reinstalled the driver as I like scrolling via the touchpad.  I will live with the issue because the trackpoint buttons work fine.

Hopefully the next driver update will fix this.

causticphoton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,484
Message 4 of 20

I talked with Lenovo telephone support, and they wanted me to send in my machine to the depot for service. I declined because I'm convinced it's a driver issue too.

Perhaps Lenovo is not aware of the issue yet.

jaylen71
Punch Card
Views: 3,476
Message 5 of 20

Same here - 99% sure it's driver related.

Hopefully someone here from Lenovo will pick it up.

rvcjew
802.11n
Views: 3,456
Message 6 of 20

You guys should try this driver as it is definitely seeming to be driver related.
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/5809es/how_to_fix_mouse_buttons_always_double_or_triple/

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p50...
I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, P50 4K, X1C5
jaylen71
Punch Card
Views: 3,427
Message 7 of 20

Might try that, but I really don't want to have to turn off Windows 10 updates.  There must be a way of holding the older version without disabling updates... as there is an option to revert to previous driver.

The driver you mention is for windows 7 and 8.1 - can you confirm it has full functionality on windows 10.

jaylen71
Punch Card
Views: 3,419
Message 8 of 20

Yep, the previous driver works fine.

I installed 19.0.17.87 - not quite as good with two finger scrolling but the multiple click issue has gone.

So far Windows has not updated it to the later driver automatically.

To anyone at Lenovo - looks like the latest driver has a problem on the P50 with multiple recorded clicks.

Former Employee
Views: 3,378
Message 9 of 20

Thank you for reporting your experience with the left TrackPad button on P50 ThinkPads running Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav Driver v.19.3.4.37 registering multiple clicks instead of single clicks.

I escalated this issue directly to Think Engineering and will post again when I receive a response.

Thank you,

Former Employee
Views: 3,334
Message 10 of 20

Think Engineering identified the left TrackPad button registering multiple clicks on P50 and P70 ThinkPad systems at the same time it was reported by customers in Lenovo Forums.

Synaptics is releasing a corrected driver to Lenovo next week. After testing, it will be made available to customers by mid-November.

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors