cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phaedruspress
Fanfold Paper
Views: 478
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad P51 Detailed Video How To Re-paste?

I have spent some time looking for a detailed video with instructions and commentary on how to do a tear down of the Thinkpad P51 in order to see EXACTLY how to carefully go about doing a re-paste but have come up empty. I have lookd at the somewhat detailed hardware manual as well as the service videos but they all come up short in supplying enough info for someone who needs to see and hear exactly what steps to take step by step in order to repaste. My understanding is that this type of "repair" on this particular machine is not for the faint of heart.

There are a couple of threads on r/thinkpad that I have participatred in but they too have been mostly unsatisfactory. 

This one the discussion starts with the Thinkpad P51 about half way down:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/7x1jbr/factory_thermal_paste_job_on_my_x220_no_wonder_it/

And this one more recently:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/87n8oc/still_looking_for_repaste_video_for_p51_re_look/

This thread on this forum called "New P51 - CPU temps hit 100C" talks extensively about re-paste but a cursory look did not reveal any guides.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/New-P51-CPU-temps-hit-100C/td-p/3711105

Sooo...Does anyone know of a comprehensive video that shows the tear down of the P51 and detailed instructions to follow on how to re-paste? BTW this is a "home" computer not an office or corporate : ) Thanks.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 384
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad P51 Detailed Video How To Re-paste?

Have you already tried undervolting the machine before doing the re-pasting? This will greatly reduce the temperatures and allows you to maintain higher clock speeds for a longer time for both CPU and GPU.

It is a good idea to thoroughly clean the intake and exhaust vents as well as fans, then run Intel XTU benchmark.

YouTube: Dave2D undervolting
phaedruspress
Fanfold Paper
Views: 377
Message 3 of 4

>Have you already tried undervolting.

Yes. Results are inconclusive. Temps have stayed relatively unchanged. -1.10 millivolts. Used Throttlestop.

>It is a good idea to thoroughly clean the intake and exhaust vents as well as fans, then run Intel XTU benchmark.

Yes.

I am at the point now where I am more frustrated then anything that there seems to be a HOW To video on just about anything but for whatever reason no one has as yet done a detailed tear down of the P51 with vid and commentary. Do you know of any?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 360
Message 4 of 4

If you are having heat issues with a machine that is still under warranty, I suggest getting it serviced.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors