Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
HDMI
Message 31 of 101 (4,556 Views)

Re: Thinkpad P51, P51s, and P71 annoucned

So exciting that the P51 is available for order somewhere!   

I'm sitting on the fence about the P51s...

HDMI
Message 32 of 101 (4,545 Views)

gemini132 wrote:

I agree on this as well, Lenovo may have realized this after launching the P50 where users were complaining about the quality of the displays being used so I believe they are now giving a more realistic specs for the new models so users will know what to expect.

If only they had instead thought "We  sell a laptop priced to be premium, lets instead upgrade to premium components"...

Bit Torrent
Message 33 of 101 (4,307 Views)

I have gotten info that the P51 will use a different 4K panel, due to quality concerns with the P50 4K screen.

HDMI
Message 34 of 101 (4,285 Views)

ibmthink wrote:

I have gotten info that the P51 will use a different 4K panel, due to quality concerns with the P50 4K screen.

Care too share? And whats the source? Seems to be some speculation about the new screens but I have yet to see a reliable source as to confirm it.

Paper Tape
Message 35 of 101 (4,170 Views)

BassGuitarPanda wrote:

Why would you want a P50/P51 or P70/P71 for pure (non GPU) software development? Even the Skylake i5 U series CPUs are completely sufficient for any kind of non-graphical software development you'll ever do...and if you need a quad core CPU, for better virtualization or something like that, there are quad core CPUs available in T470p...why would you waste extra money on a P-series machine, which is so much more expensive, JUST because of the GPU(and Xeons)...the Xeons and i7-7820HQ, that these will most likely get, aren't that much more powerful than i7-7700HQ, that T470p has and the functionality of the i7-7700HQ is already much better than you'll ever need for programming...do yourself and your wallet a favour and don't get a P-series machine just for programming-get a T470p or a good Ideapad(if the lower build quality doesn't bother you) and you'll save so much money and get a way more portable machine with so much better battery life, which will provide you with just as much power for what you'll do with it(software development), as P-series machines would Smiley Happy

So I can't speak for the original poster, but there are some reasons to look at the P even if you never use the GPU.  I currently have a W520 and I never ever use the quadro GPU but I don't regret it.

I don't need the dGPU and would in fact prefer not having it.  However find me a machine that has the solid build quality of a P50/P51 with a 4k 15.6" screen, has a similar footprint/weight, that still has a trackpoint, that's not a U-class CPU, has room for 32gb to 64gb ram (I currently regularly analyze large memory dumps that require 20+gb to process without thrashing swap), and also has room for a couple of SSDs and I'll truly consider it.  There are equivalent HP/Dell systems that are close but to fit all of the above, they usually are thicker and heavier than the thinkpad, and there's nothing else in the thinkpad lineup, even your specific examples that fit.  The T470p is missing 2 memory slots and it's a smaller screen.

Community Moderator
Message 36 of 101 (4,157 Views)

Just a comment:  The 2 slot machines can now take 32 GB (2 X 16GB)

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
HDMI
Message 37 of 101 (4,140 Views)

dopey >> So I can't speak for the original poster, but there are some reasons to look at the P even if you never use the GPU.  I currently have a W520 and I never ever use the quadro GPU but I don't regret it.

I don't need the dGPU and would in fact prefer not having it.  However find me a machine that has the solid build quality of a P50/P51 with a 4k 15.6" screen, has a similar footprint/weight, that still has a trackpoint, that's not a U-class CPU, has room for 32gb to 64gb ram (I currently regularly analyze large memory dumps that require 20+gb to process without thrashing swap), and also has room for a couple of SSDs and I'll truly consider it.  There are equivalent HP/Dell systems that are close but to fit all of the above, they usually are thicker and heavier than the thinkpad, and there's nothing else in the thinkpad lineup, even your specific examples that fit.  

100% agree.  Whenever I've listened to someone who said, "you don't need that [ much storage, much RAM ] I've regretted it.   

Fanfold Paper
Message 38 of 101 (4,144 Views)

[ Edited ]

@dopey Ok, when you put it that way, I guess you're right. The original said he needs it for coding and if that's all, then no, he probably doesn't need a P series device, but I guess the points you raised are very valid. I did not think of it that way and it was ignorant of me to assume I know what everyone needs.

That said, if you analyze large memory dumps and if most of the data can be processed in paralel, and is not serial-heavy, the dGPU could help you A LOT. You can use Quadro and (at least newer) GeForce GPUs as GPGPUs. They can complete paralelized tasks way faster than the CPU. If you measure paralel performance, CPUs are still basically all under 1 TFLOPS(around 600-700 GFLOPS), while something like a GTX 1070 and Quadro P5000 reach around 6 TFLOPS, so that's about 10 faster-if used together, you could see up to 11x increase in performance. You just need to know a bit of CUDA or C++ to utilize the GPU Smiley Happy

HDMI
Message 39 of 101 (4,096 Views)

BassGuitarPanda wrote:

@dopey Ok, when you put it that way, I guess you're right. The original said he needs it for coding and if that's all, then no, he probably doesn't need a P series device, but I guess the points you raised are very valid. I did not think of it that way and it was ignorant of me to assume I know what everyone needs.

That said, if you analyze large memory dumps and if most of the data can be processed in paralel, and is not serial-heavy, the dGPU could help you A LOT. You can use Quadro and (at least newer) GeForce GPUs as GPGPUs. They can complete paralelized tasks way faster than the CPU. If you measure paralel performance, CPUs are still basically all under 1 TFLOPS(around 600-700 GFLOPS), while something like a GTX 1070 and Quadro P5000 reach around 6 TFLOPS, so that's about 10 faster-if used together, you could see up to 11x increase in performance. You just need to know a bit of CUDA or C++ to utilize the GPU Smiley Happy

No, he didn't, he wrote "powerful software development machine" Smiley Very Happy

Bu never mind, @dopey got it spot on.

Highlighted
Bit Torrent
Message 40 of 101 (3,962 Views)

P51 is now listed in the PSREF: http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20P51/ThinkPad_P51_Platform_Specifications...

improwise schrieb:

ibmthink wrote:

Care too share? And whats the source? Seems to be some speculation about the new screens but I have yet to see a reliable source as to confirm it.

I can´t share the source, but I can assure you that its reliable. The new screen is made by AUO, apparently.

Top kudoed Authors