Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mannkeithc
Punch Card
Views: 4,713
Message 1 of 20

Thinkpad P51 Pantone Color Calibrator Software v1.3.0

I have a new ThinkPad P51 Xeon 1535 processor and 1920 x 1080 IPS Multi-Touch Display, running Windows 10. When I run the the Pantone color calibrator software (v1.3.0), it runs OK for the first time, successfully calibrating the display and shows the before after results. If I then run the software a second time, typically 1 week later as recommended by the software, it fails with 3 audio tones immediately following closing the display lid. When I lift the lid, the software reports an error, "Display has been changed. Please run the panel replacement utility to resolve your ability to calibrate." This is very surprising, since the display is still the same as per delivered. I can clear the fault by re-installing the pantone color calibrator software when a again it runs OK for the first time, but always fail when I run it for a second time. I have to repeatedly reinstall the software to clear the problem. This feels like a software bug. Has any one else experienced this problem? I have raised a ticket with technical support.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,633
Message 2 of 20

Re: Thinkpad P51 Pantone Color Calibrator Software v1.3.0

I remember a problem like this from 2016 that was caused by running "SFC /SCANNOW".  I don't remember all the details, but somehow doing this caused some corruption in the NVIDIA driver and then this problem happened with the calibration software.  The solution was to re-install the NVIDIA driver.  However this was supposed to be fixed in Win10 version 1607, so I would not expect this problem to happen today.

Let me check the latest preload and see if I can reproduce the problem here.  Are you using Win10 version 1703?

mannkeithc
Punch Card
Views: 4,629
Message 3 of 20

Yes, Windows 10 Pro 1703.

Thank you.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,580
Message 4 of 20

I can't reproduce this here.  I ran the pantone color calibrator (from start menu).  After it completed, I ran it again.  Then I rebooted and ran it a 3rd time.  No problem found.  This is on P51 with Win10 Pro 1703.  Let me check with a pantone expert and see if they have any ideas.

5thduke
Token Ring
Views: 4,566
Message 5 of 20

its never worked for me in hybrid mode,changing to discrete in bios fixes it still. i have a p70 win10 latest bios all updates up to date.

mannkeithc
Punch Card
Views: 4,548
Message 6 of 20

I re-installed the ThinkPad P51 Nvidia / Intel Display drivers (ensuring latest version downloaded from Lenovo support site). No change, Pantone color calibrator runs ok for the first time after a fresh install, and then fails on second run as described previously.

I then tried switching BIOS from hybrid to descrete graphics and this is when things get interesting. Windows 10 boots OK, but then around 30 seconds after the login screen is displayed, the screen goes dark. I tried pressing various keys and clicking the mouse buttons, but the screen didn't refresh, just remained dark. I had to hold the power button down to reset the laptop. If I boot the laptop up into Ubuntu (16.04.2 LTS) with graphics configured as descrete, all works fine with no issues. The NVIDIA logo is displayed just before the Ubuntu logon screen and then when logon, Ubuntu and various apps, shutdown, reboot, etc. all OK.

I then reconfigured BIOS back into hybrid graphics, rebooted back into Windows 10, the display was fine and didn't go dark after 30 seconds. Windows 10 then requested a further restart to set-up the NVidia Quadro M2200 display adaptor. This I did and Windows 10 was still fine, providing I remain in hybrid graphics. On a previous occasion prior to the above re-install of the Nvidia graphics display driver, I had reconfigured the BIOS for descrete graphics and booted into both Windows 10 and Ubuntu without issues. Now only Ubuntu is fine running with descrete graphics. It suggests the Windows 10 NVidia graphics display driver has become corrupted in some way.

I am now considering next steps. i) Do I remove the NVidia display driver, reboot, and try a fresh install, or ii) re-install Windows 10 from scratch?

mannkeithc
Punch Card
Views: 4,536
Message 7 of 20

I rolled back to the previous NVidia graphics driver and can know boot Windows 10 without the screen going dark after changing my P51 BIOS setting from hybrid to descrete graphics. I repeated the Pantone color calibrator tests with a descrete graphics config, and it still only runs ok for the first time after a fresh install, and then fails on the second run, as before for hybrid graphics BIOS config.

I then checked Lenovo updates and "none required" was reported, but when I performed Windows updates my  laptop was upgraded to the latest Nvidia graphics driver version. I repeated the Pantone color calibrator tests (still in descrete graphics), and same outcome as above.

So unfortunately no real progress, as I still need to reinstall the Pantone color calibrator software every time I want to calibrate my screen.

supercurry
What's DOS?
Views: 4,501
Message 8 of 20

Did you try to reboot the system before you run the calibration again? Maybe a reboot is needed if the hardware setting was changed.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,485
Message 9 of 20

mannkeithc

I'm not sure what I did, but now I'm seeing the exact same problem that you are reporting.  It may have started happening after I switched between Discrete and Hybrid modes.  Anyway, now I have to re-install Pantone software everytime I want to run it.  Let me keep working with the Pantone expert about this.

5thduke
Token Ring
Views: 4,476
Message 10 of 20

i remeber when this problem first came up and the general consensus from the guys that need accurate color reproduction posting in this forum, was it does not do the job and to use an external color calibrater ,i dont even have patone enabled anymore .

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors