Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hoakrux
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,481
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad P51 - can't install Win10 on blank M.2 NVMe SSD

Hello Lenovo-Community,

I have bought a new Lenovo P51 (20HJS0KJ00) which came originally with one HDD (500GB) and 8GB RAM.

The Company where I bought the ThinkPad upgraded it additionally with a M.2 NVMe (Samsung PM961 Lenovo OEM) SSD + 8 GB RAM.

When I get the P51 it was completely blank, no OS

For installation purposes, I removed the HDD. The only installed and from BIOS recognized Drive is the SSD (except Boot-USB).

Now I am trying a bunch of time to install Win10 on this Notebook without any success.

I am able to boot it with an USB Drive (MBR Partitioning, Win10.iso, created with Rufus) - when I select to install the OS on the SSD, I get: 

Windows can't be installed on this drive (Show details)

Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the BIOS menu.

I've already read and followed these steps - without success: 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Can-t-install-Windows-10-on-T460s-with-S...

I am not able to boot with an USB Drive (GPT, FAT32, created with Rufus) - it is not shown as Bootable Device. 

BIOS (v. 1.05) is in Default Mode (F9), also it does not work when I select UEFI only, Both. Secure Boot is off. 

I did cleared the SSD with Diskpart, it's totally blank. 

EDIT: I tried to boot with other ISO Image on a GPT USB-Stick. I was able to boot + install the OS!

Problems solved Smiley Happy

mtran13
What's DOS?
Views: 2,019
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad P51 - can't install Win10 on blank M.2 NVMe SSD

I had the exact same issues. I made a GTP stick using Rufus and it worked. Thank you!

GTgamo
Token Ring
Views: 1,994
Message 3 of 4

Is there a question that is not answered or resolved here?

Did you find any useful information? Everyone in the Lenovo forums can thank other members by clicking on the kudos star to the lower left.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,959
Message 4 of 4

ThinkPad P51 does not currently support legacy boot to MBR-partitioned NVMe SSD.  It is only possible to UEFI boot to GPT-partitioned NVMe SSD.

The next BIOS version (coming later this month) should add the legacy support.  Although I don't understand why anyone would want to install Win10 in legacy mode.  If you have some requirement to do this, please let me know why.  We need this information to help decide how long to keep supporting legacy mode in ThinkPad BIOS.  Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors