KR

24 Signins

194 Page Views

• Views: 194
  • Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad P51 case shows crack

2020-02-05, 3:53 AM

Hi,

Today, to my horror and dismay, I noticed that the casing of my P51 has started to crack at the bottom right front corner.

On the picture of the side view, you can clearly see that something is slightly bulging up from the horizontal center of the image towards the right corner, and you can see the discontinuity of the crack.

The top view shows the extend of the crack.

I take very good care of my machine with only minimal transports in a laptop bag and at all times using a wireless external keyboard and mouse. So it basically just stays flat on my desk all the the time without any additional handling other than opening or closing the screen lid.

What the heck is happening? The slight *upward* bulge shown in the first picture seems to suggest that there is some stress there, and that the stress ultimately led to the crack, which tellingly is located above the location of the bottom screw hole.

What can I do about this? Can I go to a Lenovo Service center to get this fixed as part of the warranty? Has anyone else had the same problem?

Solved! See the solution
Options

10950 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39560 Signins

412452 Page Views

• Views: 412452
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad P51 case shows crack

2020-02-05, 4:17 AM

I cannot be sure without seeing it, but to me, it looks like the stress from the hinge has cracked the rear cover.  That kind of damage is usually caused by the user opening the lid from one corner, rather than using two hands or lifting from the middle (near the camera).  If it is user-inflicted, the warranty probably wouldn't cover it unless you purchased accidental damage coverage.  As I said, I cannot be sure without seeing it.

Rich

To help with forum searches, check this out: https:/forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Using-Browser-Search-to-find-your-answers-in-Lenovo-and-Moto-Community/m-p/5016916

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

331 Posts

11-26-2019

HK

135 Signins

2768 Page Views

• Views: 2768
  • Message 3 of 10

2020-02-05, 4:17 AM
A cracked chassis is usually NOT covered by the warranty (it doesn't hurt to try it though). The crack will not affect the normal use of the device besides it looks ugly.
Options

9 Posts

01-23-2018

KR

24 Signins

194 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2020-02-05, 6:44 AM

@

The crack is not on the back side of the machine (where the hinges are). It is at the front right corner (logo side).

Also, if you look at the front picture, the *upward* bulge I mention is not natural, and I certainly haven't created it myself somehow. I wager the stress was created when the whole thing was screwed tight while there was a slight mismatch, resulting in the internal stress and ultimately to the crack.

It is sad that a high-performance machine like this cannot withstand its own internal mechanical stresses. As I wrote, my device is almost never moved nor touched (wireless keyboard and mouse). It is in pristine condition. And then, one fine day, I discover this crack. Really infuriating.

Options

9 Posts

01-23-2018

KR

24 Signins

194 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2020-02-05, 7:11 AM

@Legions

I have little hope of getting this fixed as part of the warranty, certainly since there are no official Lenovo service centers near me (the one service center listed on my regional Lenovo webpage is an multi-brands service center, and they will probably send me walking).

I find it scandalous that cracks would appear by themselves though. Although my machine is now 2 years old, with one year of warranty left, it is otherwise in pristine condition, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Another example of the dirty "planned obsolescence" tactics, it seems to me.

What's the point of trying to keep a machine in perfect condition, maybe to resell it on the 2nd hand market later, if it starts to crack on its own?

Options

331 Posts

11-26-2019

HK

135 Signins

2768 Page Views

• Views: 2768
  • Message 6 of 10

2020-02-05, 7:21 AM
You can buy the chassis from amazon or ebay and replace it yourself if you want, they are not that expensive.
Options

9 Posts

01-23-2018

KR

24 Signins

194 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2020-02-05, 8:50 AM

@Legions

Sure...

Or Lenovo could start making cases that don't crack on their own...

Anyway. thanks for reacting & have a nice day.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2020-02-05, 20:37 PM

I have the same problem (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P51-Cracking-of-palmrest/td-p/4623440). I know multiple people and heard of more that have this exact same crack including me. I think there is either residual stress or the fatigue is underestimated (crack looks rather clean).

Options

10950 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39560 Signins

412452 Page Views

• Views: 412452
  • Message 9 of 10

2020-02-05, 21:43 PM

I could see where the crack was and I answered the way I did because I have seen cases where the mounting post pulls off the rear cover (at the lower corner) and the hinge becomes loose from the side and can rock slightly.  The lid can crack anywhere along the side.

Rich

To help with forum searches, check this out: https:/forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Using-Browser-Search-to-find-your-answers-in-Lenovo-and-Moto-Community/m-p/5016916

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

2020-02-05, 22:44 PM

I expected they connected the hinge directly to the lower chassis.

And if they also connected it to the top cover assuming both ends of the top cover have a good connection to the lower chassis, an approximation would be a double hinged beam. Combined with the vertical loading the highest moment would be somewhere close to the hinge if the area is the constant, which would mean they underestimated the stress(concentration) at the end due to the curvature they added.

Or do you mean that the mounting on the opposite side of the cracked corner on the diagonal failed? I do not feel any movement there but that would make sense, still taking into account the safety factor they should have used for such an advertised durable design that should not happen with the load case you sketched.

Because apparently it is very reproducible at exactly the same curve, it could be the flow front from the injection molding if it froze to quickly giving a lower density (due to the complexity of the part). But that should have shown up during either flow simulation or quality control.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete