Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
corsemode
What's DOS?
Views: 491
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad P51S Drive Encryption from Factory

I wanted to dual boot Win10 and Linux, so I started to resize the partition in the Linux installer and realized I couldn't. When I tried to resize with gparted, gparted said that the drive was encrypted. I have Windows 10 Home, so I didn't think it was bitlocker. I rebooted into Win10, and found "Device Encryption" and disabled it. Windows prompted that decryption could take a long time - but it didn't at all. I rebooted and was able to resize the partition in the Linux installer.

I'm unable to figure out how to reenable encryption. If I set a HDD password in the BIOS, it just asks me for a password on boot, so that's not it. I can't encrypt with Win10 Home edition, so it wasn't done with that initially. I downloaded Samsung Magician, but it doesn't support the drive.

I have a Samsung MZVLW1T0HMLH-000L7 drive which is a   1 TB SSD OPAL2.0 PCIe-NVMe. I've read that the OPAL drives are hardware encrypted, but I can't figure out how to turn it back on, or even for that matter, why I was able to disable it in Windows. Does anyone know how the drives are encrypted from the factory so I can get this encrypted again?

Thanks!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 466
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad P51S Drive Encryption from Factory

Have you tried disabling "Secure Boot" in BIOS?

This can be found under BIOS F1 setup -> Security -> Secure Boot option.
corsemode
What's DOS?
Views: 462
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad P51S Drive Encryption from Factory

Well, no. Once I disable it, does it automatically start encrypting the drive again? Isn't it enabled by default?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors