Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rlamm
Paper Tape
Views: 230
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad P52 Blue screen issues after Firmware update

After Intel Management Engine Firmware 10 [64]- v 12.0.47.1524 my machine has been having odd power issues.

Sleep mode it drains the battery.

If it starts on battery power, not plugged in, it bluescreens.

It won't start while plugged in. 

I have to turn it on, wait for screen to activate, and then plug it in.  Too early, it never turns on, sits on a black screen.  Too late and it either shuts down due to low battery (if I leave in sleep mode) or bluescreens (if I had it shut down and the battery still has power).  Stop code is a different error each time.  (driver irql_less_or_not_equal, unexpected kernal mode trap, things of that nature)

There's something up with how the machine receives power and it only affect startup.  Unplugging the machine will still allow it to run (haven't tested for how long, it's just not an instant bluescreen)

Any way to roll back firmware?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 212
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad P52 Blue screen issues after Firmware update

Firmware can't be rolled back but I wonder if something went wrong during installation.  Can you reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS setup, then find ME Firmware Version.  Is it correct?

ve2mrx
802.11n
Views: 159
Message 3 of 10

Is there an accompanying driver update?

They both must be compatible with each other. This IRQL error could be a sign of a driver problem too.

Martin
I'm a user, NOT a Lenovo employee. If my post helped, consider giving me a Kudos. If I solved your issue, please mark it as Solved.
P52 I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 512GB-SSD 1TB-HDD
rlamm
Paper Tape
Views: 109
Message 4 of 10

Yeah the ME Firmware version was correct, it matched the version in stallation hostory, and what the lenovo site did.  

I actually installed it once again in case it didn't take, but the result is the same.

rlamm
Paper Tape
Views: 107
Message 5 of 10

There was a Thinkpad video feature update, NVidia Quadro N18 that ran with the firmware update.

I've stopped autoupdates and I do see a new bios update that came in recently, which makes me wonder if I should run that.

I did find an easier work around to me just doing the power cord plug in at the right time.  I changed the power option of performance optimized to battery optimized.  Rebooted once with no bluescreens, so far so good.

rlamm
Paper Tape
Views: 102
Message 6 of 10

Update:  Machine didn't bluescreen, but it didn't start windows either.  No hard disk activity seen on the indicator light.

Still back to timing the plug in of the cord.

Other oddness: will not wake from sleep mode.  Have to hold power down.

rlamm
Paper Tape
Views: 100
Message 7 of 10

Sorry for multipost spam here, I'm going to try this:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P52-4K-reboot-three-times-forever-after-...

I'll let everyone know if this did the trick.

rlamm
Paper Tape
Views: 97
Message 8 of 10

nope, didn't fix anything.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 96
Message 9 of 10

Can you find the .dmp files on your PC related to the blue screens?  I can take a look and see if there's anything obvious.  I don't think you're having the problem in the other thread, and it's strange that nobody else is reporting this kind of problem now.

rlamm
Paper Tape
Views: 58
Message 10 of 10

It did and I was checking them out, but my laptop is bricked now. No power to anything except the light on the power button. I have a tech coming at some point to replace the system board.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors