Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sikhness
Fanfold Paper
Views: 429
Message 1 of 19

Thinkpad P52 HDMI sound output issues

Hey Guys,

I have a brand new Thinkpad P52 that seems to be having issues with HDMI audio.

Essentially what happens is that when I restart my computer, all is well and sound starts playing from HDMI as expected.  But overtime, if I put the computer to sleep or let the computer idle so that it goes to the lock screen and then turns off the screen, when I return from either state, very often the HDMI output playback device in the Windows Sound playback settings just dissapears and I lose all HDMI audio (video works fine).  I have to restart my computer at this point for it to come back.

Sometimes when I resume my computer from either sleep or the screen turned off state, the HDMI audio device will still be there, but the sound quality suffers substantially and sounds very "wavy" instead of a clean crisp sound.  Usually after that state, follows the HDMI audio device dissapearing entirely after a sleep or screen turn off state again.

I have all the latest lenovo drivers installed from Lenovo Vantage including the Thunderbolt firmware.  I have even tried this same HDMI setup I have on my older Lenovo W540 laptop and that has no issues whatsoever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 385
Message 2 of 19

Re: Thinkpad P52 HDMI sound output issues

Hi Sikhness! Welcome to our forums community, Try running the update using the Lenovo Vantage app from this laptop: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options?linkId=67374355. Install available updates. Update us how it goes.  John_Lenovo

Moderator comment: Link expanded for transparency.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

sikhness
Fanfold Paper
Views: 381
Message 3 of 19

Hi James_Lenovo,

I have run all available updates from the Lenovo Vantage application already. There are no more updates available.
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 373
Message 4 of 19

Sorry for that. For some reasons your last statement about you updating the drivers through the Vantage app is not appearing a while back. Have you tried running a hardware test just to make sure that the issue is not hardware. Share the result so we can check.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

sikhness
Fanfold Paper
Views: 357
Message 5 of 19

Hi there,

I have run the full hardware test using the Lenovo Vantage app, and everything was a success.

I've attached my results.

sikhness
Fanfold Paper
Views: 293
Message 6 of 19

Hi,
Is there any idea on what I can do next? The issue is still occurring.
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 282
Message 7 of 19

There is a recent update on the firmware or BIOS. Try running the update from the Lenovo Vantage app or update it manually here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/fi/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-.... Update us how it goes. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 268
Message 8 of 19

Can you please describe the graphics hardware in your P52?  Do you have nVidia graphics (P1000, P2000 or P3200) or just Intel HD Graphics 630?  If you have nVidia graphics, are you running with your BIOS Config -> Display set to "hybrid graphics" or "discrete graphics"?

If you have nVidia graphics, can you please provide the driver version from Device Manager for both (a) display adapter -> nVidia, and (b) sound -> nVidia high definition audio.

Also, are you using an external monitor or an external HDTV?  Are you connecting through miniDP->HDMI cable, or HDMI->HDMI, or Thunderbolt?  Have you tried all three variations, and are the results the same with all three?

Have you tried the latest nVidia retail driver, version 430.39 or newer (e.g. 430.64), obtained from the nVidia web site (not from Lenovo Vantage)?

This 430.39 driver (first released only recently in April 2019) contained a "magic fix" for a "disappearing HDMI audio" issue that first arose back in December 2018 (in graphics drivers newer than 392.00) for the P70 and other machines running with "discrete graphics" and has been present unfixed for the past 4-5 months. Despite denying any responsibility, nVidia clearly did something in December that "broke" things (which had been working perfectly for years), and then just recently (with 430.39) "fixed" whatever it was that they broke. So beginning with 430.39 there is no longer a "disappearing HDMI audio" issue for the P70 running "discrete graphics"... with absolutely no change to the BIOS in the P70.  The "fix" is 100% due to whatever nVidia did starting with 430.39.

Hence why I suggest you might give the latest nVidia retail driver a shot.  Eventually Lenovo will incorporate this recent driver version and distribute it through Lenovo Vantage. But in the meantime you can get it right now from the nVidia site.

Just a thought.  But in order for this to potentially be helpful you would need to be running "discrete graphics" and have nVidia GPU in your P52.

Sonic4
Paper Tape
Views: 208
Message 9 of 19

My P72 with Quadro P3200 has exactly the same problem as the one sikhness described.

I'm using the Thundebolt 3 Workstation Dock. My monitor is connected to the dock by Displayport. Every driver and software is up to date. I'm even using the newest Nvidia driver from their homepage. I also tried deinstalling the Nvidia software with Display Driver Uninstaller and a reinsatllation, but this didn't help at all.

It seems as there is a problem between the Nvidia High Definiion Audio and Windows and/or Lenovo.

The device manager says that the High Definition Audio Controller was stoped because it reported an error (code 43).

Switching to discrete graphics caused a few other strange problems, that's why I had to go back to the hybrid mode.

sikhness
Fanfold Paper
Views: 186
Message 10 of 19

Hi DSperber,

Thanks for the detailed response.  I have the dual configuration with the Intel HD Graphics 630 and the Nvidia P2000 and have my BIOS Config set to Hybrid Graphics (for battery life).

The driver version I was using is the latest provided by Lenovo which is 419.71, and my setup currently is straight HDMI -> HDMI.  I've tried using miniDP-> HDMI as well but the issue is the same.

I tried getting the latest Nvidia driver (430.64) from Nvidia's website and the issue still remains.

Is it required to have the BIOS Config set to Discrete Graphics?  I would prefer to have a Hybrid setup and control which applications use what.

Sonic4 seems to be having the same exact problem as me with the P72 configuration and I'm beginning to wonder if this could be a BIOS issue in addition to the driver? It's becoming a real nuisance having to restart the computer each time to get sound back temporarily only to have that sound be all "wavy" sounding.

A fix definitely needs to be provided for this!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors