Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbinette
Fanfold Paper
Views: 237
Message 31 of 60

Re: Thinkpad P52 HDMI sound output issues

I have a P1 with Quadro P1000, all updates installed according to Lenovo Vantage. I am using a Thunderbolt Workstation Dock to connect to two ACER monitors. Whenever my system goes to sleep it wakes with the same audio error. Device Manager shows the error on the "High Definition Audio Controller". I then have to disable and then re-enable the controller to get my speakers that are plugged into my monitor to show back up.

I was thinking it was the dock because I get other bad problems as well. Waking up causes the "No battery is detected" icon to show up in the system tray. Nothing I've found can make it detect it again even though it is charging.

A lot of times my system won't even wake up and I have to unplug it from the dock, hit the reset button on the bottom of my P1, plug it in, and turn it back on. It usually takes a couple tries for it to work. Seriously annoying. I can't just undock and redock without this failure.

SeniorGuru
Views: 220
Message 32 of 60

I can assure you that Lenovo IS sincerely interested in getting to the bottom of this story and determining what exactly is causing it and what exactly needs to be fixed. It is apparently happening on very new machine models, P52/P72 and P1. All that's needed is the ability to make it happen in their lab, so that their engineers can chase it down.

But so far they haven't been able to duplicate the symptom in their lab, even when following pretty direct and simple instructions which supposedly should have elicited the issue.  So there's obviously something not quite the same in their environment (probably the monitor being used is critical), which is why it is very important that your own problem report here please include the set of BEFORE/AFTER screenshots I've requested.  In particular, the error showing on the "High Definition Audio Controller" within the "System Controllers" category of Device Manager is useful, but not sufficient.  It is supported by a Microsoft driver.

What is really needed is the expansion of the "Sounds" category, all of which devices here are supported by Realtek or nVidia.  It really is necessary to see (a) the driver version/date from each of those vendors, and (b) whether or not the nVidia HDMI Audio Device is shown here.  The primary symptom of this thread is "disappearing HDMI audio device" in the "Sounds" category of Device Manager, so if you are getting that yourself then this is a good thing.  But the proper screenshot which shows that is essential.

So if you can please put together the BEFORE/AFTER sets as outlined in my previous post, that would help immeasurably.

mbinette
Fanfold Paper
Views: 188
Message 33 of 60

I've attached screenshots from before and after. Since the most recent BIOS update it took much longer for the issue to pop up. I was able to sleep and wake my system at least 15 times yesterday and the audio worked correctly. It wasn't until I let it sleep overnight that it failed on me.

SeniorGuru
Views: 182
Message 34 of 60

Excellent!  Thank you for the detailed complete set of screenshots.  It absolutely proves that the nVidia HDMI Audio Device is "disappearing" from Device Manager after the long period of sleep/dark, which of course is why you then cannot get HDMI audio out to the external display but are forced to sound from the laptop's analog Realtek + speakers.

I see that the nVidia graphics driver is 417.35.  This is the latest version provided for the P1 by Lenovo in their Intel/nVidia driver package (for running "hybrid graphics"), dated June 10, 2019. It is however "very old" as far as nVidia drivers are concerned, and is actually from 12/11/2018.

From related threads, dealing with "discrete graphics" and flatout "disappearing HDMI audio device from Device Manager when an HDMI connection is used to an external display"(i.e. it is NEVER possible to send digital audio out over HDMI, having nothing to do with sleep and then coming back from sleep), we know that nVidia made their own "magical fix" in 430.39 that corrected this problem on other Lenovo laptops (e.g. my P70).  So all 430.49 and newer nVidia-provided drivers no longer exhibit this particular symptom, which showed up with "discrete graphics".

I see that you're running "hybrid graphics", but you're also using a dock and are no doubt plugged into wall power. Have you tried "discrete graphics", just to complete the matrix of experimental data points stemming from coming out of long periods of sleep and losing HDMI audio, to see if there's any difference in behavior?  Not to minimize what you've already provided and proven, but that would be an interesting additional part of the test matrix, which might be helpful for Lenovo in chasing down the problem.

And while I know Lenovo stands behind their supported 417.35 driver in terms of not supporting anything newer from nVidia, I ask if you have given that a try, i.e. installing the very latest retail driver for the P1000 from nVidia, which at the moment is 431.02 dated June 10, 2019?  Again, it's just another set of results in the matrix, but knowing if it does or does not make any difference seems like it would again be of value to Lenovo.

Anyway, thanks again for posting your screenshot set.  I will pass it on.

Sonic4
Fanfold Paper
Views: 172
Message 35 of 60

Thank you DSperber for your effort to help us solving the issue. Also thank you mbinette for posting the screenshots.

Honestly, I wouldn't use another driver than the one Lenovo provides.

I did this myself and the last time I asked in this topic whether Lenovo themself can install the latest Nvidia driver to test if the problem occurs, the answer was: "Lenovo says they can't really try an nVidia-provided newer driver."

So in the end Lenovo won't be able to help you if you install the Nvidia driver from the Nvidia website. Just stick to the newest Lenovo provided drivers and try to write down a detailed instruction as I did in message #18. Then, Lenovo may be able to reproduce the problem and provide a solution.

sikhness
Punch Card
Views: 169
Message 36 of 60

I agree with Sonic4, let them stick with the latest Lenovo driver because this issue happened on that driver for me too. I tried it on both the latest Lenovo one and the latest Nvidia one.

And you could ask Lenovo to keep the laptop in sleep mode for an extended period of time, the issue is very common but it happens intermittently.

SeniorGuru
Views: 164
Message 37 of 60

I believe we are at least zeroing in on what seems to me to be the commonality in all of your respective reports.  It seems that the laptop is connected via USB-C cable, either (a) through a Thunderbird 3 Dock to which the external display(s) are connected to the dock via some HDMI or DP cable, or (b) directly to an external display that supports USB-C connection.

The symptom does not occur if the laptop is connected directly to an external display using HDMI or DP cable.

And the required minimum period of sleep/dark that must elapse before whatever it is that finally triggers the nVidia HDMI Audio Device to vanish from Device Manager, that time period can be as long as hours, not just minutes.

Correct?

Also, is it true that disabling the "hardware standby" timeout option on those LG 4K monitors... does that now CURE THE PROBLEM?  Or is the problem still occurring even with this monitor setting set to DISABLE?

sikhness
Punch Card
Views: 156
Message 38 of 60

Hi DSperber,

Just wanted to clarify that the issue definitely does also happen when the laptop is connected directly to an external display using HDMI or DP cable. This is what my setup is in fact.

And yes you are correct about the time period, it's not a constant but it does happen frequently.
Sonic4
Fanfold Paper
Views: 145
Message 39 of 60

"The symptom does not occur if the laptop is connected directly to an external display using HDMI or DP cable."

I wrote this in message #23, but I only retested it once. It is most likely that the problem would have occured in this constellation after a few more tries. I just don't have the time at the moment to do further testings.

In addition, before I had the Dock and the LG monitor, the Dell monitor was conneced directly to the laptop with DP.  There, the problem also occured.

"Also, is it true that disabling the "hardware standby" timeout option on those LG 4K monitors... does that now CURE THE PROBLEM?  Or is the problem still occurring even with this monitor setting set to DISABLE?"

I disabled all these Standby options on my LG 32UD99-W  from day one. This doesn't influence the sound problem at all. Also, it doesn't seem to be a LG problem, because mbinette is using ACER monitors.

SeniorGuru
Views: 138
Message 40 of 60

Ok. Lenovo will see all of these qualifications and comments as they review all of our latest posts.  I guess it doesn't depend on USB-C cabling necessarily, nor LG 4K monitors.

For now I suppose we'll just have to be patient, and wait for some solution. Once they can actually reproduce the problem that's 90% of the game.  And you've all definitely provided enough specifics for them to presumably be able to duplicate the symptom.  Not sure why they didn't have success following your detailed recipe, but I have faith they will eventually succeed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors