Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbinette
Fanfold Paper
Views: 177
Message 51 of 56

Re: Thinkpad P52 HDMI sound output issues

Before the update both Acer monitors would disappear from my sound devices list. Now ONE stays on the list and Nvidia is still in my Device Manager.

I just had it happen again and tested disabling and re-enabling the Nvidia under Sounds instead of the High Def under System Devices and that also brought it back.
SeniorGuru
Views: 170
Message 52 of 56

@mbinette wrote:
Before the update both Acer monitors would disappear from my sound devices list. Now ONE stays on the list and Nvidia is still in my Device Manager.

I just had it happen again and tested disabling and re-enabling the Nvidia under Sounds instead of the High Def under System Devices and that also brought it back.

So to be clear, originally both external monitors disappeared from your Playback Devices choice list after long periods of overnight "sleep" of the laptop. And originally (i.e. before driver/BIOS updates) the nVidia device in "Sounds" disappeared as well, though you discovered it could be resurrected back to life in "Sounds" by DISABLE/ENABLE of the "System devices" controller.  Simultaneously with that nVidia device resurrection in "Sounds" are both speakers in Playback Devices which also both return to life.

And now, after update of driver/BIOS, the nVidia device in "Sounds'" no longer disappears.  It remains.  Also, now only one of the two monitors (namely the one with the speakers attached) disappears from your Playback Devices choice list.  And now you can bring that monitor (with speakers) back to life in Playback Devices either by (a) DISABLE/ENABLE of "Sounds" nVidia device, or (b) DISABLE/ENABLE of "System devices" nVidia controller device.

Interesting. So there's no question the 415.45 driver (and possibly BIOS update) has had some effect on your issue. In fact a very significant improvement has occurred in that the nVidia device in "Sounds" no longer disappears.  Curiously, the monitor with speakers disappears now from Playback Devices while the other monitor without speakers does not, whereras previously they both disappeared.  Fascinating.

This is a never-before-seen story, as Playback Devices is directly associated with devices shown in "Sounds".  Previously, when the device disappeared from "Sounds" it would be expected that the corresponding item(s) in Playback Devices would also disappear.   If there was no disappearing device in "Sounds" then there would also be no disappearing device in Playback Devices.  Seems inconceivable that the "Sounds" device is now permanently present (even when the laptop comes back after long periods of sleep) and yet one (the speaker-enabled one) of two identical externally connected monitors (via the TB3 dock, not via the laptop itself) disappears from Playback Devices even though the other monitor (with no speakers attached and for which the dock has been "faking it, on behalf of the speakerless monitor, claiming it could handle HDMI audio thus resulting in its appearance in Playback Devices) remains selectable from Playback Devices.

This latest observation of yours ("I just had it happen again")... was that after coming back from long overnight sleep?  Or after a short period of sleep this morning?  Or what?

Can you plug the speakers into the second montor, instead of the current one?  Is that possible?  I'm just curious if the identical story will take place, but this time for the second monitor?

What happens if you run with only one of the two external monitors connected (i.e. unplugging the HDMI cable for the second monitor without the speakers), assuming you can at least just try that setup for a while to see if there's any difference in the story from that change?

Again, what is the period of "formal laptop sleep" that must pass before any of these anomalies occurs, and with less than that time period elapsing no anomalies occur at all and everything continues to run perfectly?

And can you try that additional setup change, disabling "sleep" completely (i.e. NEVER) even if you put the screens "dark" after say 15 minutes?  If you totally disable "sleep" and with both monitors active and connected normally (but letting their screens go "dark" say after 15 minutes), do you now have 100% "perfect" behavior?

mbinette
Fanfold Paper
Views: 164
Message 53 of 56

I can put the laptop to sleep manually and immediately wake it up and it will happen. My speaker was initially plugged into Monitor 2 according to the Display Settings (even though physically I have Monitor 2 on the left side and it is my main monitor). I moved the speaker to Monitor 1 (on the right side) and it didn't make a difference. When waking from sleep it is still Monitor 2 that is missing. The good thing is I can leave my speaker in Monitor 1 and not worry about Monitor 2.

I'll see if after a long, overnight sleep if this changes.
SeniorGuru
Views: 150
Message 54 of 56

Ok. This ability to instantly demonstrate the problem is (I think) different from what I interpreted this thread to be about, namely losing the HDMI audio device in "Sounds" of Device Manager after coming back from long periods of sleep.  Now you're saying you can demonstrate it immediately, simply by manually putting the laptop to sleep and then immediately waking it up. And then, if I understand correctly, one of your two monitors (#2, on the left) is no longer offered in Playback Devices no matter whether it actually has speakers connected to it or not.  Monitor #1 (on the right) always remains offered in Playback Devices, and never disappears as #2 always does.

Is your laptop screen on (in extended mode, along with #1 and #2 external monitors), or is it "dark"?

Have you tried reversing the HDMI ports on the dock that your two monitors are connected to?  Is it still the monitor on the left (which should presumably now be shown as #1) that vanishes while the monitor on the right (which should presumably now be shown as #2) remains?  And again, it doesn't matter which monitor has the speakers connected to it that determines which monitor disappears?

If it's always the monitor on the left that disappears, no matter whether it's #1 or #2 and no matter whether or not it has speakers connected to it, that strongly suggests it's somehing about that particular monitor (maybe in its internal setup/configuration??) which is causing your observed behavior.  If, instead, your situation reverses itself when you swap HDMI dock port connections and it's now the  other monitor which exhibits the disappearance, then that suggests there's something specific about either that HDMI port on the dock or how Windows or nVidia driver is handling the two external monitors through the dock connected by USB-C cable to the laptop which is relevant.  Either way, it would be at least very interesting to run that test, to see what happens if you swap HDMI port connections on the dock to the two monitors.

In any case, it is VERY significant that you can now demonstrate the newly modified symptom instantly by just going to sleep and coming right back out, rather than requiring long periods of [overnight] sleep to exhibit the issue.

Also, it is VERY important to observe that the new nVidia 425.45 driver appears to have resolved the "disappearing HDMI audio device" in "Sounds" of Device Manager issue, which previously was presumably also why the related HDMI audio-enabled external monitor also disapppeared from Playback Devices as a choice.  The newly described symptom, where somehow and for some reason the HDMI audio device remains in "Sounds" and yet one of two external HDMI-capable monitors vanishes from Playback Devices while the other monitor does not... this is an increasingly complex mystery, but definitely something new.  And since a version of this new symptom occurred even  before 425.45, I don't know where the blame for the remaining portion of this old symptom might lie. At least before 425.454 when the HDMI audio device disappeared from "Sounds" it could be expected and understood that BOTH of your external monitors would also disappear from Playback Devices.  But now, with the HDMI audio device no longer disappearing from "Sounds" it's hard to understand why or how just one of your two external monitors would disappear from Playback Devices while the other one would not?

Fascinatingly complex.

mbinette
Fanfold Paper
Views: 93
Message 55 of 56

After a couple days of it actually working fine, the original issue has popped up.

2019-07-25 Device Manager.png

Before this, both my monitors audio stayed in the Sound Settings and worked. I think the one monitor falling off the list could be when I quickly sleep then wake. But when the monitors go to sleep as well, they seemed to come back as expected, until today.

This is with the updated Nvidia and BIOS from this month.

sikhness
Punch Card
Views: 84
Message 56 of 56

I also have the latest version of the BIOS and Nvidia Video Card driver for my P52 and the issue is still occuring.
I have to use the disable-reenable HDMI audio device to get it working.
It's definitely either a driver or firmware issue that's the problem here.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors