Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rodney303
Punch Card
Views: 1,535
Message 1 of 16

Thinkpad P52 touch screen not working

I just received my P52 with the 4k "touch" screen and Nvidia P3200 but as delivered Windows doesn't think it's a touch screen. There is no touch functionality and in device manager there is no touch screen in human interface devices.

In monitors there's a "wide viewing angle & high density flex view dislay 3840 by 2160".

HID service is running.

There doesn't seem to be any touch screen driver on lenovo' website for P52.

Lenovo it's prettybad to buy a high end machine and have it arrive with screen hardware not enabled. 

Does anyone know how to enable it?

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,509
Message 2 of 16

Re: Thinkpad P52 touch screen not working

I don't have a P52 or P72.  I hope someone with similar hardware responds.  I would expect the machine to use a standard windows touch driver, rather than one from Lenovo.  Have you applied all the Microsoft updates?  Latest build (1803)?  Do you have the latest BIOS (1.12)

lenovo.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Rodney303
Punch Card
Views: 1,493
Message 3 of 16

Thanks yes I've updated Windows and Bios to no avail, also tried repair install and complete reinstall from downloaded digital recovery media. I think you're right there should be no driver for the HID-compliant touch screen. I think I'll send this machine back to Lenovo as it could be a hardware fault. Maybe there are bad batches of the expensive 4K "touch" screens. Shame as it otherwise seems great.

pjg
802.11n
Views: 1,487
Message 4 of 16

I have a P52 and mine works fine. There is no Lenovo specific driver for the touch screen. It is managed by Windows directly.

1) Is the device enable in Device Manager ?

HID.jpg

If it is there, right-click on "HID-compliant touch screen" and select Uninstall device. Then reboot and see if the device comes back and is working ?

2) I assume you are running Windows 10 1803 all patched ?

Rodney303
Punch Card
Views: 1,483
Message 5 of 16

Thanks for posting and clarifying regarding the driver. I don't see it in device manager. All I see is below, no hid pen or touch screen.

There's an option in bios to enable and disable the touch screen. I've tried disabling and re-enabling but it has not impact.

Yes I'm running the Windows 10 Pro 1083 with all updates until today.

hid.JPG

Rodney303
Punch Card
Views: 1,477
Message 6 of 16

By the way does your touch screen work in BIOS? If touch is supposed to work in BIOS but doesn't the problem I have is most likely hardware. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,475
Message 7 of 16

I would not expect the touch screen to work in the BIOS.  It works like a mouse or touchpad that needs some sort of driver.  It is possible the panel is defective or, possibly, the box was dropped in transit and a connection was broken.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Rodney303
Punch Card
Views: 1,449
Message 8 of 16

Contacted local Lenovo (Singapore), they will look into replacing the LCD panel. They didn't offer a hot swap (even though 3 days old laptop, 3 years onsite warranty). Fingers crossed for a fast fix. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,444
Message 9 of 16

I hope you can get fast turnaround.  Sometimes, (not always) repair parts are in short supply on brand new models

Rich

Rodney303
Punch Card
Views: 1,387
Message 10 of 16

Rich

Unfortunately you are correct - I've been advised the part will arrive Nov 9, so it will be about a month without the functioning device before it is fixed. It only took two weeks for the P52 to arrive once ordered and now twice as long for a replacement screen!

My fear is that the fault could turn out to be somewhere else (e.g. motherboard) and the fix could therefore lake even longer....

Meantime no point setting up software, development environment, code builds and data because of the potential for the whole motherboard to be replaced.

I would hesitate to purchase Lenovo next time. For this fault in a brand new machine they should have given a replacement, it would have been quicker and less inconvenience. Reading these boards it would seem Lenovo do that sort of replacement in USA but not in Asia.

Rodney

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors