Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sep23
Paper Tape
Views: 264
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad P52S Ultra Dock and 3 External Monitors

Hi.  I'm hoping I can get this resolved on this forum.

I just got my system and am trying to connect my 3 external monitors.    My setup is as follows:

1. Monitor 1 - laptop screen - works.
  2. Monitor 2 - HDMI out to HDMI in - works
  3. Monitor 3 - DP out to HDMI in via a DP-HDMI cable.  - works
  4. Monitor 4 - DP ou to DVI in via a DP-DVI adapter - doesn't work. I can't figure out how to make this work.

I also tried this setup:

1. Monitor 1 - laptop screen - works.
  2. Monitor 2 - VGA out to VGA in - works
  3. Monitor 3 - HDMI out to HDMI in - works
  4. Monitor 4 - DP out to HDMI in via a DP-HDMI cable.  - doesn't work. Incidentally in this configuration, when I closed the laptop screen this monitor worked.  

Also on a related note, the Nvidia Quadro P500  is sitting idle as the Intel UHD 620 is doing all the work.  How can I control this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sal

Guru
Views: 232
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad P52S Ultra Dock and 3 External Monitors

As stayed in PSREF, P52s supports up to three independent displays. Laptop's screen includes in this limit, meaning you can use two external displays at that time. When you close the lid, you can use three external displays. To use more, you'll need some sort of USB adapter to increase such a limit.

Regarding other question, you can't disable Intel GPU - it's always active and it's always controls screen output. NVIDIA's dGPU can be configured to be used in selected applications, making them to work with higher performance.

P52 and P72 for sure have an ability to disable Intel iGPU, giving the control of screen output to dGPU. Probably P1 and/or X1 Extreme have the same feature too.

------
sep23
Paper Tape
Views: 210
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your input.  I see the PSREF you referenced.  I don't think the laptop screen is included as an independent monitor.  I just chatted with sales and they confirmed that fact.  I should be able to use the laptop and 3 external monitors.  I had a T420 and it's dock that ran this configuration no problem.   Anyway I'm still on the hunt for a solution.

Guru
Views: 202
Message 4 of 4

@sep23 wrote:

Thanks for your input.  I see the PSREF you referenced.  I don't think the laptop screen is included as an independent monitor.  I just chatted with sales and they confirmed that fact.  I should be able to use the laptop and 3 external monitors. [...]

Statement from Lenovo's employee. Intel HD can output up to three video signals. Internal screen is taking one signal, leaving two signals for external screens. If you need more, then look for USB video adapters - I have seen on Youtube, that some people connected even six screens using them.

According to Docking Station video guide, it might be possible to use Ultra Docking Station to overcome this limit. Thunderbolt docking stations require a P52/P72 to utilize four displays (internal + 3x external). 

------

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals