Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sep23
Paper Tape
Views: 4,018
Message 1 of 9

Thinkpad P52S Ultra Dock and 3 External Monitors

Hi.  I'm hoping I can get this resolved on this forum.

I just got my system and am trying to connect my 3 external monitors.    My setup is as follows:

1. Monitor 1 - laptop screen - works.
  2. Monitor 2 - HDMI out to HDMI in - works
  3. Monitor 3 - DP out to HDMI in via a DP-HDMI cable.  - works
  4. Monitor 4 - DP ou to DVI in via a DP-DVI adapter - doesn't work. I can't figure out how to make this work.

I also tried this setup:

1. Monitor 1 - laptop screen - works.
  2. Monitor 2 - VGA out to VGA in - works
  3. Monitor 3 - HDMI out to HDMI in - works
  4. Monitor 4 - DP out to HDMI in via a DP-HDMI cable.  - doesn't work. Incidentally in this configuration, when I closed the laptop screen this monitor worked.  

Also on a related note, the Nvidia Quadro P500  is sitting idle as the Intel UHD 620 is doing all the work.  How can I control this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sal

Guru
Views: 3,986
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thinkpad P52S Ultra Dock and 3 External Monitors

As stayed in PSREF, P52s supports up to three independent displays. Laptop's screen includes in this limit, meaning you can use two external displays at that time. When you close the lid, you can use three external displays. To use more, you'll need some sort of USB adapter to increase such a limit.

Regarding other question, you can't disable Intel GPU - it's always active and it's always controls screen output. NVIDIA's dGPU can be configured to be used in selected applications, making them to work with higher performance.

P52 and P72 for sure have an ability to disable Intel iGPU, giving the control of screen output to dGPU. Probably P1 and/or X1 Extreme have the same feature too.

------
sep23
Paper Tape
Views: 3,964
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for your input.  I see the PSREF you referenced.  I don't think the laptop screen is included as an independent monitor.  I just chatted with sales and they confirmed that fact.  I should be able to use the laptop and 3 external monitors.  I had a T420 and it's dock that ran this configuration no problem.   Anyway I'm still on the hunt for a solution.

Guru
Views: 3,956
Message 4 of 9

@sep23 wrote:

Thanks for your input.  I see the PSREF you referenced.  I don't think the laptop screen is included as an independent monitor.  I just chatted with sales and they confirmed that fact.  I should be able to use the laptop and 3 external monitors. [...]

Statement from Lenovo's employee. Intel HD can output up to three video signals. Internal screen is taking one signal, leaving two signals for external screens. If you need more, then look for USB video adapters - I have seen on Youtube, that some people connected even six screens using them.

According to Docking Station video guide, it might be possible to use Ultra Docking Station to overcome this limit. Thunderbolt docking stations require a P52/P72 to utilize four displays (internal + 3x external). 

------
Demon_killer
What's DOS?
Views: 2,914
Message 5 of 9

Were you able find a solution for it?
Even i am facing the same issue?
Demon_killer
What's DOS?
Views: 2,913
Message 6 of 9

Were you able find a solution for it?
Even i am facing the same issue?

sep23
Paper Tape
Views: 2,890
Message 7 of 9

So Saperkus is spot on. Only 3 displays whether int/ext. I was able to use two DisplayLink USB adapters to get 2 more ext displays to work from the ultra dock to get to 5 total displays including the laptop display. The problem with this is that Windows 10 keeps flashing and "reseting" the displays. What I mean by this is that the USB displays go dark while Win10 manages the displays and gets them to work again. I'm not sure how else to describe the issue but it's annoying an far from optimal. The USB adapters are somewhat dated so that may contribute to the issue. Also, I believe in makes the laptop work harder than it should thereby degrading performance. So, this is not my optimal solution and I will look to redo my setup in the near future.
tshawkins
What's DOS?
Views: 2,685
Message 8 of 9

Check the size of the Video memory in Bios Setup, it should be set to 512M, if not its quite possible that the system does not have enough VRAM to hold all the framebuffers for the external displays. My experience is only with Fedora Linux on the P52, and we saw the same issue with 2 external monitors, where one kept flashing and flickering until we upped the VRAM from 256M to 512M
sep23
Paper Tape
Views: 2,417
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for the idea. Checked it and was already at 512.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors