Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ezap
Punch Card
Views: 1,451
Message 1 of 35

Thinkpad P53 Gpu clocks problem and coil whine

I just got my P53 with i9 and rtx 4000 yesterday. Durign gpu usage the clock stay at 1500 mhz on clock and 6000 mhz on memory and its fine like that until I move or shake the laptop. After that the gpu clocks start to fluctuate between 700 - 1200 roughly and memory stays at lock 800 mhz and statys that like until I either reset or put the device to sleep. The gpu temperature stays at 70 degrees celcius.

Also when the gpu clocks stay high as I stated above I get really bad coil whine, but stop when clocks get locked  to lower frequency after the device gets moved.

Not sure if there is some motion sensor in the laptop that could potentailly lower the clocks for security reasons (Making sure the vents have correct airflow ?) or its a defect in my device.

I tried disabling the intel hd graphics, installing new quadro drivers and geforce drivers and everything is up to date. Its a serious issues as it cuts the gpu performance in half.

The screenshots show the memory clocks running higher and then drastically dropping when i lift the device up. The power cord does stay attach during lifting and windows is detecting the device as plugged in.

agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 1,440
Message 2 of 35

Re: Thinkpad P53 Gpu clocks problem and coil whine

Hello

Sounds like an issue I had with my P73/Q5000

Check this thread

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/GPU-Problem-ThinkPad-P73-with-Quadro-RTX...

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Prior: Razer Blade Pro, Variety of Mac Books (2001 - 2015)
Ezap
Punch Card
Views: 1,431
Message 3 of 35

It does seem similar except I left it under load for 20 mins and the moment I lift the device it just clocks down. Same happens if its under load for a minute or not under load at all and I move it around. Also I dont see how it would be temp related cause 70 degree is really good for a rtx 4000 even a desktop one.

Ezap
Punch Card
Views: 1,416
Message 4 of 35

Just found a person on this forum with similar problem as well where the clocks stay low especially the memory.

Seems to be relate to temperature limit getting triggered by something.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P53-RTX-3000-gpu-does-not-boost/td-p/453...

agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 1,409
Message 5 of 35

Try clean install; 

Install only the stuff thats really needed (Direct Graphics Driver, req'd Intel stuff);

Skip all lenovo;

See what happens ....

P73 6c Xeon, RTX 5000, 2TB NVMe Samsung x 2, 7.6TB 2.5 SATA Micron SSD, 64gb ECC ram
Ezap
Punch Card
Views: 1,392
Message 6 of 35

I will try that tommorow for sure, as I was considering that as well.

I am really dissapointed with this, as I bought the P53 as my first brand new thinkpad and I have to go throught so much trouble to get such basic stuff to work properly. Honestly for such price tag I would not expect defects like this either it be hardware or software especially with this being profesional grade hardware. I just hope its not a hardware defect as I already waited 3 weeks for it to arrive, but even then the coil whine problem will persist for me either way Smiley Sad

Also from the thread you posted did you get your p73 replaced or do you still have it ?

Ezap
Punch Card
Views: 1,360
Message 7 of 35

So I did fresh install of windows 10. I let it install all the drivers automatically except for the gpu for which I used the geforce driver. I changed the power profile to high performance and as of now no issues with thermal limit. The core clock is more stable now with it being between 1200 -1300 which is what the rtx 4000 maxq is advertise as rather than 1520 with the original win install.

It seems like lenovo screw up something with their power profiles in win cause setting the power slider at default on fresh install to better performance will cause the gpu temp limit again but having it at best performance lets the gpu operate normally. Also since the core clock is not as high as it was before the coil whine is not noticable at all.

I will do some more testing and probably another fresh win 10 install just to be sure.

Venetach
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,345
Message 8 of 35

Isn't this related to the attached document?

What's interesting it says it only affects Linux  systems

abax2000
Punch Card
Views: 1,313
Message 9 of 35

Have you cross-checked settings in Lenovo Vantage?

Power>Power Smart settings --- OFF (and Performance highlighted)

P52, 8850H, P2000, 2x16GB RAM
2x512GB NVMe, 1TB SSD
W10 pro 1909
agazpp
Token Ring
Views: 1,298
Message 10 of 35

It seems there is a motion sensor in all Ps; Several in fact;

It is very possible that something related to it is glitched (software or hardware wise);

If I have time, i'll try to recover my P73 to factory install with all their ware and see if this is when GPU goes LIMP;

Have Never considered this possibility;

Edit 1:

P70(1) has G-Sesnsor and two other sensors that appear to be motion related as well;

It is possible to read out G fairly easy it seems

How easy it is to obtain schematics for Lenovo it is unbeliaveble, especially for someone who came from Apple

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors