Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aggie1985
What's DOS?
Views: 4,447
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad P70 Memory Upgrade Questions!

Howdy All!

I just ordered a Thinkpad P70 with a XEON 1505-M processor.

It comes with one 16gb ECC memory module.

I want to add 3 more and when I checked Crucial.com's memory upgrade options, it only list 1x16GB NON-ECC memory modules!

So two questions:

1) Can I mix the 1x16GB ECC memory module with 3 NON-ECC 1x16 modules?

2) How hard is it to install memory in the P70? My last couple of mobile workstations have been Dell M Precisions and adding memory was EASY (no need to remove the keyboard ,etc)!

Thanks in advance!

Aggie85

Cubbi
Punch Card
Views: 4,425
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad P70 Memory Upgrade Questions!

@Aggie1985 wrote:

1) Can I mix the 1x16GB ECC memory module with 3 NON-ECC 1x16 modules?

2) How hard is it to install memory in the P70? My last couple of mobile workstations have been Dell M Precisions and adding memory was EASY (no need to remove the keyboard ,etc)!

About 1: It might be possible to mix ECC with non-ECC modules, but you would lose the error detection on all modules then. Since non-ECC modules are only slightly cheaper I would not recommend it.

About 2: for the P50 it is a piece of cake to install memory, it should be no different on the P70.

As for memory: Lenovo currently uses Samsung modules. So if you want to go for the same 16GB ECC modules check for M474A2K43BB1-CPB. I do not know about Cruicial, but at least Transcend also got 16GB ECC modules (check for TS2GSH72V1B). I cannot say anything about the Transcend modules, but I installed two of the 16GB Samsung modules (besides the 8GB module that was already in) in my P50 had no problem so far (even checked with Memtest86+ for a whole night).

Cubbi

cuiliang
Punch Card
Views: 4,395
Message 3 of 10

I have my P70 upgraded to 32G ECC memory, but can not enable ECC function. 4 other people also have this problem.

Please refer to :https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P70-with-Xeon1505-How-to-enable-ECC/td-p...

Would you please test your machine if ECC is enabled?

You can download the Aiad64 Extreame from here:http://www.aida64.com/downloads

Thank you~

Cubbi
Punch Card
Views: 4,366
Message 4 of 10

@cuiliang wrote:
Would you please test your machine if ECC is enabled?

Looks ok on my P50:

# inxi -m -xxx
Memory: Array-1 capacity: 64 GB devices: 4 EC: Single-bit ECC
Device-1: ChannelA-DIMM0 size: No Module Installed type: N/A
Device-2: ChannelA-DIMM1 size: 16 GB speed: 2133 MHz type: DDR4 (Synchronous)
bus width: 128 bits manufacturer: Samsung part: M474A2K43BB1-CPB serial: 11121676
Device-3: ChannelB-DIMM0 size: 8 GB speed: 2133 MHz type: DDR4 (Synchronous)
bus width: 128 bits manufacturer: Samsung part: M474A1G43DB0-CPB serial: 02206525
Device-4: ChannelB-DIMM1 size: 16 GB speed: 2133 MHz type: DDR4 (Synchronous)
bus width: 128 bits manufacturer: Samsung part: M474A2K43BB1-CPB serial: 11121610

#

Cubbi

SeniorGuru
Views: 4,358
Message 5 of 10

I am not addressing your question abourt ECC memory, since my P70 has E6700HQ CPU and uses non-ECC memory.

However I can answer your second question about "how hard is it to install memory in the P70" having added my own second 8GB of non-ECC Crucial memory to my P70 which came with the standard 1st 8GB of Samsung memory pre-installed.

There are FOUR memory sockets in the P70, arranged in two bays.

(1) Two are in a difficult to get to and hard to work with bay under the keyboard, with the two overlapping SODIMM sockets one laying over the other.  You have to pull up the socket grips for the top layer in order to expose the socket grips for the bottom layer.

This under the keyboard bay holds sockets #1 (open if only one memory card comes from Lenovo) and #3 (populated with the Samsung memory card if only one memory card comes from Lenovo).  Both sockets should hold matching memory cards for optimal "dual channel" mode.

So first, it is not easy to get to since you DO have to remove the keyboard in order to expose the bay.  And then second, it is hard to work with the two connector socket grips because one lays on top of the other (slightly offset).  And of course when you're all done you will have to reinstall the keyboard again.

(2) Two of them are easy to access on the underside of the laptop. instantly accessible simply by turning the laptop over and removing the battery and bottom cover.  These are both open flat into two separate and individual sockets of the one bay, so access to the bay is easy and installation of two memory cards each in its own accessible socket is easy.

This underside of the laptop bay holds sockets #2 and #4.  Both sockets should hold matching memory cards for optimal "dual channel" mode.

The easy to access bay is NOT where the single factory 1x stick of Samsung memory is preinstalled, so both of these underside bay sockets are open and available for you to add your own memory to.  With no Samsung memory in either of these sockets there will be a mylar film (with sticky adhesive on the underside, stuck to the plastic divider in the bay between the two sockets) covering both of these memory sockets in the bay.  If you're careful, I suppose you can install your own two memory cards without removing the mylar film so that it remains covering them after you're done.  I didn't know what to do and decided to just pull away the mylar film since it really seemed to provide no function.

Note that the two pairs of memory sockets are specifically "paired".  You must install 2x memory cards in these pairs if you want the memory to operate optimally in "dual channel" mode.  And obviously each pair of memory cards should ideally be "identically matched" in all specs (although they don't need to be from the same manufacturer) in order for them to run optimally, otherwise the BIOS will run that pair at the lesser speed of the slower card.

The hard to access bay under the keyboard has memory sockets #1 (open) and #3 (pre-loaded with factory Samsung card, when you buy only 1x memory stick from Lenovo).  If I recall correctly, my 1x factory memory card was in #3 which was the UPPER LAYER SOCKET.  In order for me to add my own second 8GB into the open socket of this pair, I first removed the Samsung memory from the upper-layer socket and reinstalled it into the bottom-layer socket.  That made it easier for me to then install my second 8GB of Crucial non-ECC memory into the now open top-layer socket. 

The easy to access bay on the underside of the laptop has memory sockets #2 (on the left as you look down on the upside-down open underside of the laptop) and #4 (on the right as you look down when the laptop is upside-down and open).

If you were only going to use a single 2x pair of memory cards optimally operating in "dual channel" mode, you would unfortunately be forced to put your own second memory card into the hard to access under-the-keyboard bay, because that's where Lenovo installed their factory delivered first-and-only Samsung memory card.  It's easier to use the two sockets in the easy to access bay on the underside of the laptop to add your own additional memory cards, but both of those are NOT PAIRED with the other two layered sockets in the hard to access bay under the keyboard.  So if only a single additional memory card is added here (into sockets #2 or #4)  it run in "single channel" along with the Lenovo card in memory socket #3.

But if your plan is to add three additional memory cards to the single Samsung card delivered by Lenovo, you really have no choice but to remove the keyboard in order to get to that bay where the Lenovo memory lives, in order to add your first addtiional memory card into the second socket, resulting in a matched pair of cards in the "paired sockets" of that bay.  Then you reinstall the previously removed keyboard, and turn the laptop over and start the second step.  You will then very easily add your second pair of additional memory cards to the open and accessible underside bay.

Then reinstall the underside laptop cover, reinstall the battery, and you're done.

Good luck.

EazyE
Punch Card
Views: 4,287
Message 6 of 10

Stupid question...

What happens if you leave the 8GB Lenovo installed card in slot #3 and put a 16GB card in slots #2 and #4?

I realize that the memory is typically 8,16, 32 or 64 but wondering if P50 could handle 40GB of memory or would that = blue screen of death?

dgently
Punch Card
Views: 4,269
Message 7 of 10

@EazyE wrote:

Stupid question...

What happens if you leave the 8GB Lenovo installed card in slot #3 and put a 16GB card in slots #2 and #4?

I realize that the memory is typically 8,16, 32 or 64 but wondering if P50 could handle 40GB of memory or would that = blue screen of death?

When you install pairs, the ram works in "dual channel" (faster throughput). By putting an uneven number sodimms, or unmatched pairs, it will only work in single channel mode, thus affecting system performance (don't know if more ram is more important than dual chanel or not, but I assume it depends on what you are using the computer for).

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 4,250
Message 8 of 10

the ram doesn't need to be paired, but they work faster if they are paired with the same amount of ram capacity.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
pstaples1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,882
Message 9 of 10

My P70 has a single 16 Gb of ram under the keyboard in the top position, slot 3 ,I assume.  I have ordered 32 GB's of Crucial ram (a matched pair of 16 GB's each).  For optimal performance should I take out the Lenovo 16 GB ram module and put each of the 16 GB crucial modules in slot 1 and 3 to get dual channel performance or could I leave the single Lenovo module where it is in slot 3 and put the 2 Crucial modules in slot 2 and 4 to have a total of 48 GB's?  If I had 48 GB's would the 3 be single channel or would 1 be single channel and the the pair dual?  Sorry I don't know much about ram.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,866
Message 10 of 10

See my post in this other similar thread, for answers to most of your questions.

To get dual-channel mode you must have either 2 or 4 sticks of memory.  There is no such thing as single-channel for 1 stick and dual-channel for the other 2-sticks in a 3-stick configuration. The BIOS will simply force single-channel mode if the 2/4 setup is not present.

You already have 16GB in a single stick in #3 under the keyboard. It's up to you to decide if having 48GB running in single-channel mode (which is from what I've ready 10-15% slower than dual-channel mode) is of more value to you and will benefit you more often than having just 32GB but running in the somewhat faster dual-channel mode.  32GB may be "infinity" for you, in which case the only thing you've lost by throwing away the Lenovo-provided 16GB is the cost for that memory card (I think standard is 8GB, not 16GB).

You haven't provided the specs for the Crucial memory you purchased, but if it's identical spec memory to the Lenovo memory why didn't you just buy a single 16GB stick to add to the 16GB you already have?  They don't have to be from the same manufacturer to be "matched", they only need to have the identical specs (and Crucial guarantees that). Why not just keep one Crucial stick and return the second one, and install the one you keep in the second slot under the keyboard to get dual-channel 32GB?

On the other hand, if the two sticks of Crucial memory are faster than the 16GB of Lenovo memory you got, if you install all three you'll lose the faster speed of the new sticks as the BIOS will slow them down to match the slower speed of your Lenovo memory.  So in this case you'd want to discard the slower 16GB of Lenovo memory and install the faster 2x16GB=32GB of Crucial memory and also run in faster dual-channel mode.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors