cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iclmwillard
Paper Tape
Views: 737
Message 1 of 12

Thinkpad P70 locking up at the logon screen.

I have had my Thinkpad P70 for about 6 months now. I would periodically not be able to use the fingerprint reader to logon. The LED would flash but the system didn't recognize anything. I could choose "switch user" and choose the correct user and manually put in my password. Everything would come up just fine. The next time i booted the fingerprint reader would work fine. As this annoyed me because it was intermentent i kept checking for updates on Windows update and via the Lenovo app and would apply them everytime one was applicable to my configuration.

Now about every 2-3 boots my system gets to the logon screen asking for a fingerprint scan and the system won't go past that screen. Most of the time the HD light flickers and sometimes the mouse moves, but never does it move further. 

In an effort to isolate the issue i quite using the fingerprint reader and just used the user icon and typed in the password to see if that might correct the issue. Unfortunately it would still lock up at that point every 2-3 boots.

Thinking i may have an issue with a user profile i started logging in with a different profile. Unfortunately the problem persists.

I did have an update from Lenovo that updated the bios. I am not sure if my lock ups were happening before that or only after.

Does anyone else have a similar issue?

My configuration is

P70

32gb ram

i7-6700HQ processor 2.60

1GB Cyclone SSD

2-1GB Crucial PCIe SSD

I have run system diagnostics but everything shows passed. Attached is my report.

My best guess is it had something to do with the BIOS update. I have reset the bios to defaults (F9) but the problem persists.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 708
Message 2 of 12

Re: Thinkpad P70 locking up at the logon screen.

Look in the event log and see if there are messages related to usb hubs.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
iclmwillard
Paper Tape
Views: 650
Message 3 of 12

Well i assume you were meaning as something other than an information category. That answer is no. However i am attaching the application, security, and system logs to this reply.

I did go into devmgr with the showhidden switch and removed all "ghosted" or "greyed" out items under USB. The problem seems to still remain.

snivl69
What's DOS?
Views: 642
Message 4 of 12

I would recomend unistalling all of your hardware devices and reinstall the Lenovo drivers.  I had some similar issues with random freezes that I beleive were due to me accidently installing the windows 8.1 driver for the fingerprint reader.  I removed everything with the delete driver box checked, reinstalled from the support site making sure to pick Windows 10 x64, I have not had any freezes for 4-5 days.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 624
Message 5 of 12

Do you use a domain controller for authentication?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

iclmwillard
Paper Tape
Views: 616
Message 6 of 12

I am not authenticating to a controller. This is a standalone laptop. From time to time i connect to my home network but each PC in that network uses local authentication.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 597
Message 7 of 12

I am running out of ideas.  If you look at boot options, is windows boot manager first?  Is network boot in the list?

Rich

iclmwillard
Paper Tape
Views: 590
Message 8 of 12

Windows boot manager is 1st. Network boot is last. 

It boots to Windows fine. However at login screen if I choose to scan finger print it will change to welcome and stops there. Have left it in that state for over 4 hours on 3 occasions and still no dice. Power off with the power button and then back on and everything works as it should until the next boot. 

Does the exact same thing if I choose switch user and type in a password. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 585
Message 9 of 12

I guess I would remove fingerprint sign in from windows, erase fingerprints in the BIOS and set it up again from scratch

Rich

iclmwillard
Paper Tape
Views: 572
Message 10 of 12

I removed the fingerprint definition from Windows. I went into bios and reset fingerprint data and have not used fingerprint Reader at all since. I have shutdown, restarted, sleep, hibernate 38 different times and no lockup at all. I have to manually put in my password but so far so good. I am going to test through the weekend and if no lockups I will add back the fingerprint Reader. I will let you know my results. 

Thanks for the help! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors