Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adem0x
Paper Tape
Views: 1,463
Message 1 of 12

Thinkpad P71 - Sending/Receiving SMS messages with Sierra EM7455

[OS: Windows 10]

Is there an application to use for sending/receiving SMS messages with the Sierra EM7455 Wireless WAN card?

What I am looking for isn't one of those bulk sending applications that connects to some server ove Internet.

What I want is to send and receive SMS messages just like the way I can do so on my phone.

I am really hoping someone knows of such an app, because all googling efforts turned out to be useless.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,442
Message 2 of 12

Re: Thinkpad P71 - Sending/Receiving SMS messages with Sierra EM7455

I have always believed that it just doesn't work.  It isn't really a phone replacement.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
adem0x
Paper Tape
Views: 1,421
Message 3 of 12

But, after I installed the EM7455, 2 COM ports come up in the Device Manager, namely: -- Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A DM Port -- Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A NMEA Port Obvioulsy, the second one is for GPS/GNSS stuff; but the first one (I am guessing here) must be a COM port for modem emulation --i.e AT commands. If that's so, it should be possible to use it just like one would use a phone connected over USB that presents itself as a COM port to send/receive SMS. I cannot try it (using a serial port terminal emulator) right now because I do not have a SIM card I can use in P71 at the moment. I am hoping someone already has tried and determined it worked.
adem0x
Paper Tape
Views: 1,413
Message 4 of 12

Correction. Under Device Manager, the relevant port isn't shown as a COM port but as a 'Modem', which is "Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A WWAN Modem" And, when you go to its properties you'll see that it is COM 4. I have managed to connect to it using a terminal emulator. But, so far, it responds with 'ERROR' for the few AT commands I tried. I am assuming (hoping) it is because there's no SIM in the laptop.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,399
Message 5 of 12

You should use the 3rd party tool with SMS capabilities as the win10 doesn't have this feature. For example, Netgear AirCard Watcher (formerly Sierra's application) or Mobile Broadband SMS Toolkit from independent developer. Note, em7455 supports SMS via LTE as it doesn't feature 2G network.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,394
Message 6 of 12

Another application is Sierra Skylight

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

adem0x
Paper Tape
Views: 1,388
Message 7 of 12

Netgear AirCard Watcher (formerly Sierra's application) or Mobile Broadband SMS Toolkit from independent developer.

I have downloaded and installed 'AirCard Watcher'. It does not find the Sierra module, for some reason. Plus, it is excessively skinned. Plus, too dumbed down. Not to my taste at all.
OTOH, 'Mobile Broadband SMS Toolkit' seems just the ticket. Thank you for suggesting it.

Another application is Sierra Skylight

I couldn't get a copy. It requires registration -- they ask too many questions.
But, if it is anything like 'AirCard Watcher', I may not have missed much.

Note, em7455 supports SMS via LTE as it doesn't feature 2G network.

Honestly, I have no idea what you mean here as I have less than cursory knowledge in the field of (Wireless) technologies.

What I am after is simple: Send/receive SMSs the way my Galaxy Note 3 does.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,383
Message 8 of 12

> 'Mobile Broadband SMS Toolkit' seems just the ticket.

What do you mean by "ticket"?

It's very simple application (not for SMS features only), I use it for 5+ years. I know a case some em7455 owner (Lenovo Community member) use it for SMS either.

Did you find it, actual version 1.0.0.79?

Regarding the Sierra's sw - I agree, usually it's heaped-up enough, but has unique features.

adem0x
Paper Tape
Views: 1,374
Message 9 of 12

What do you mean by "ticket"?

I mean, it is near-perfect for the purposes I intend to use it. i.e. it fits the bill. I do wish it was open sourced, though.

Did you find it, actual version 1.0.0.79?

Yes. That's the version I have.

Regarding the Sierra's sw - I agree, usually it's heaped-up enough, but has unique features.

I'd very much like it if Sierra released well documented dll's (or so's) so that we (non-corporate) users could use in our own applications. But, that's probably expecting too much.

Jomant
SCSI Port
Views: 1,362
Message 10 of 12

I would be interested in such software. Just got my P71 back from the Lenovo SWAT. Does any of the softwares you found works with the SMS feature? Otherwise I continue Hangouts. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors