cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DM-AVAL
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad-Samsung or Lenovo-Samsung NVMe SSD? What is this?

In this discussion, Amy from Lenovo recommends that we purchase Lenovo SSDs if we want thermal management:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Can-I-add-a-Samsung-950-Pro-NVMe-SSD-to-...

The link no longer directs us to a particular model.

So I perform a search on the Lenovo site and see (among others) this model:

ThinkPad 256GB SAMSUNG PCIe NVME TLC OPAL M.2 SSD

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/memory-and-storage/storage/HDD-BO-ThinkPad-M-2...

What is this?

A Samsung SSD rebranded as a Lenovo SSD?

Would I gain in compatibility with such a drive or not, and specifically regarding thermal management?

Also, is there a misprint below concerning the read speed?

"ThinkPad 256GB SAMSUNG PCIe NVME TLC OPAL M.2 SSD supporting PCIe 3.0 interface standard up to 4 lanes shows much faster performance than previous SATA SSDs. It's sequential performance is up to 300MB/s for read operation and 1700MB/s for write operation by 4 lanes. Test-Prove 100% Compatible with ThinkPad machines. "

That has to be 3000MB/S, right?

improwise
HDMI
Message 2 of 6

Re: Thinkpad-Samsung or Lenovo-Samsung NVMe SSD? What is this?

My impression is that even Lenovo themselves does not have a clue.

DM-AVAL
Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 6

I searched for an image based on the part number 4XB0N10299.

There was one good image where you could (more or less) see the serial number, FRU, etc., but only references to Lenovo as far as the manufacturer goes.

On the other hand, does Lenovo make its own NVMe PCI express SSDs?

Aren't there only a couple of manufacturers that actually produce this type of drive, notably Samsung ?

EDIT: I'm thinking this might be the SM951. - Although FRU 04x4454 is for XP491 - which may explain lower price.

In the past, it looks like "thermal management" was obtained by simply reducing performance:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-sm951-ssd-128gb-256gb,4119.html

"It appears that Lenovo limits the SM951 for its Ultrabooks. This would reduce power consumption and the amount of heat generated inside its compact chassis. "

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Message 4 of 6

I think that Amy's suggestion was intending to suggest that you use an SSD with a Lenovo FRU number on it.  That would mean that the drive and firmware were tested to work correctly.  

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
improwise
HDMI
Message 5 of 6

richk wrote:

I think that Amy's suggestion was intending to suggest that you use an SSD with a Lenovo FRU number on it.  That would mean that the drive and firmware were tested to work correctly.  

She also said that the Samsung 960 Pro would work with OPAL in Thinkpad P-series but it doesn't and noone seem to have a clue how to get it to. Thus my conclusion that Lenovo does not seem to know either.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Message 6 of 6

The 960 pro is a retail drive, sold directly to consumers, and only in retail packaging.  It is not one that system builders, like Lenovo, would use for building systems

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Top Kudoed Authors