cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msftmsft
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,051
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 docking station does not charge Thinkpad P51 battery.

I contacted Lenovol support and they send me a replacement unit. The the replacement unit has the same problem. Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 docking station does not charge Thinkpad P51 battery.  I need to plug in the power adapter for both docking station and notebook.  Does anybody have similiar problem? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,045
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 docking station does not charge Thinkpad P51 battery.

Everbody's p51 would be the same.  The thunderbolt port won't work as a charging port.  The thunderbolt specs specify 100w max.  That's not enough.  Your thunderbolt port is not for charging.  To charge via the dock, you need a workstation dock, not a thunderbolt dock.  A thinderbolt dock can charge things like an x1 carbon (5th gen) or x1 yoga (2nd gen)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
clevesc
What's DOS?
Views: 1,672
Message 3 of 4

Re: Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 docking station does not charge Thinkpad P51 battery.

the Yoga does NOT  have a "workstation dock". It has the USB-C dock. Also, I've deployed dozens of Yoga 370 with the USB-C docks  configuration with varying degrees of success. Some users dock charges their machine, for others it doesn't. I've upgraded the BIOS and the power management software  on the ones that don't charge but they still do not charge. Lenovo really needs to gets its act together in providing a real solution. 

iampedroNL
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,581
Message 4 of 4

What model of Thinkpad Thunderbold 3 dock do you have?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors