cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schmidjd
What's DOS?
Views: 113
Message 1 of 1

Thinkpad W500 Windows 10 installation - seems to work, but mouse touchpad does not work

Hello... I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W500, purchased some years ago. It was running Windows 7 Pro. Any discs that might have come with it are long lost.

I made the disastrous decision to upgrade to Windows 10. To do this, I used "Create Windows 10 installation media" from this this link. I put it on a USB flash drive, configured my W500 BIOS to load from "USB HDD" first, and proceeded. 

After several attempts, it finally managed to load what appears to be Windows 10 (clean install w/o Product Key, for now) to the point where I gave it my Micosoft ID and it even loaded the correct wallpaper photo, etc, and there was a Taskbar which briefly appeared before hiding.

But after that, nothing... integrated mouse touchpad unresponsive (in fact, no arrow pointer on screen at all). 

I know the mouse pad is working, because if I insert the "W10 installation media" flash drive, I can select "Repair PC" instead of "Install W10" can then get a command prompt (with a arrow pointer that moves around). But none of the other options seem to work (it detects none of my W7 recovery partitions, W7 Restore points... nothing. Startup repair reports back nothing.

I don't think I am eligible for Lenovo Recovery Media, as the eligibility page does not recognize my Thinkpad S/N.

At this point, I'd be happy to just re-install W7 (I have a valid Product Key), but I can't even "Submit digital download recovery order" since Lenovo won't recognize my S/N. At this point, I'm not quite sure which options I even have. Any help would be appreciated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors