Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peleg
Punch Card
Views: 3,218
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad W530 BIOS update [Ver 2.7, from 3.8.2018]

In the beginning of March 2018, there was a critical BIOS update, which I ran...

Prior to the update my system's CPU tempratures, while ideal, where very stable and around 55 degrees celsius.

After the BIOS update my CPU temprature reads are all over the place. While ideal, the sensor can read 55c and instantly jump to 82c, back to 64c, upto over 90 degrees celsius and so on [you get the idea], with arbitrary temp reads, without any apparent reason... 

Has anyone came across this issue?

Should I be worried about this?

Should I rollback to previus BIOS version? Could I ,even?

Thanks

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,154
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad W530 BIOS update [Ver 2.7, from 3.8.2018]

Interesting.  I'm now thinking I will NOT upgrade my W530 BIOS with this latest version.

I believe the W530 BIOS can be rolled back to the previous version 2.69 but not earlier, simply by re-running the BIOS utility (from Windows) or by re-running the ISO burned version from CD.  I'm currently running 2.67, so I need to think about this.

But I now see that there is a seemingly very much related thread posted by a W540 user, who has experienced what appears to be the exact same "running much too hot now" symptom.  Looks like Lenovo recently updated the BIOS for this W530/W54x group of machines to address the Spectre/Meltdown problem and this overheating problem is the result.

I may simply not touch my own W530, which runs just fine on 2.67.

Peleg
Punch Card
Views: 3,054
Message 3 of 5

Couple of things I've noticed and would appreciate your feedback for:

1. Prior to the BIOS update, I checked which BIOS version I had installed and, weirdly, it was 2.7 & SMBIOS version 1.3 [same has it is showing now]. So now I'm trying to find that version, for download, but without success. The only 2.7 version listed in Lenovo's site is the new one, from 8.3.2018.
The question - How can I find the older 2.7 BIOS version?

2. Chrome is stressing the CPU, like never before! I know chrome is a resource hungry beast, to say the least, but with this new BIOS update it's at a whole new level [10 new levels, to be exact].
The question - Could a fresh installation solve this?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,034
Message 4 of 5

Older versions of the BIOS are linked at the bottom of the page:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-W-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

From the README it looks like 2.69 is as far back as you can go:

- If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 2.69 or higher, it is no longer
  able to roll back to the version before 2.69 for security improvement.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Peleg
Punch Card
Views: 3,008
Message 5 of 5

Yes, that I understand... But I don't want to roll back as far as possible [quite the opposite], I wanna roll back as near as possible.
but where can I find the previous 2.7 version? because the current 2.7 version [form March 8th], which is the only on listed there, is not only 2.7. As I wrote, my BIOS version already was 2.7, prior to the update.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors