Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_D
Paper Tape
Views: 1,613
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad W530 - Fn keys and "On Screen Display"

Hello-

This is the first time I've needed to post here - I wouldn't say I'm an advanced user, but I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing. So please bear with me.

My specific problem is that, seemingly following one of the attached (screenshot) windows updates, I can no longer use the Fn+F keys properly. Some of them do work (I can adjust brightness, hibernate), but I cannot for instance open WiFi controls (Access Connections) with Fn+F5, Communications Utility with Fn+F6, or connect to a projector with Fn+F7.

Also, the accompanying screen overlay isn't right. The manual volume adjust button doesn't show the volume change on screen (same for mute button); neither does Fn+F8/F9 for brightness; ditto for CAPS-LOCK key, so I don't know whether caps lock is on or not! But these buttons/key-combinations do at least work.

I have spent a long time trying to fix this following for example treads like below:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/E530-special-keys-FN-F4-FN-F5-etc-are-n...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T530-Fn-keys-and-quot-On-Screen-Display-...

Updating HotKeys feature integration manually did not help. However, when I did this via a full scan with Lenovo Solutions Centre it did something (e.g. screen overlay came back briefly for brightness controls Fn+F8/F9, but has since gone again after re-starting). But still nothing for opening WiFi controls, Communication Utility, caps lock, manual volume volume contol button, or mute button.

Somewhere along the way trying to fix this I installed LENOVO OKE FN PS2 KEYBOARD with no joy. On unistalling it again some of the on screen displaying came back (but not functions opening WiFi or Communications Utility). However, after yet another re-start I was back with all the original problems even with this program gone. 

Lenovo software is up-do-date.

So I'm at a loss! The last resort from one of the above threads is to do a fresh windows install. But obviously I would very much like to avoid this. I think I will try a basic de-fragment next, then defragmenting the registry if that doesnt do anything.

If someone can provide any extra advice I would be extremely grateful as this is super annoying. Yes, there are workarounds (e.g. I can launch Access Connections etc. from the system tray or start menu), but the whole point of the Fn keys is that they are convenient. And not knowing whether CAPS are on or off, what the volume is etc. really bugs me!

Thanks a lot,

/Richard

Guru
Views: 1,596
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad W530 - Fn keys and "On Screen Display"

Does the below apply to you?  Did you upgrade power management driver recently?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Latest-Power-Management-Driver-Conflicts...

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Richard_D
Paper Tape
Views: 1,587
Message 3 of 4

Ah, thanks ever so much. Yes, that worked! Easy to solve when you know-but very hard to know!
I'm getting really tired of updates across the board breaking compatability and corrupting files!
Guru
Views: 1,584
Message 4 of 4

Im personally holding off upgrading hotkey driver even though it says critical for same reason.  

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors