Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fastix
Paper Tape
Views: 145
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad W530 Model: 2463A63 no POST after BIOS Update

The "Lenovo System Update" has yesterday installed a new BIOS. After the rebooot (initiated by the update) the Notebook is "bricket" - I can see the light for a short time, the DVD-Rom can be heard and five beeps in two rounds. After this: nothing.

What i can do?

luckypunq
Punch Card
Views: 113
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad W530 Model: 2463A63 no POST after BIOS Update

This link is the Lenovo Support page for BIOS error Beeps.

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht062270

I cannot tell which applies to you because the description you give does not match anything there, I suggest you kisten a bit more intently to the error beeps to dicern short and long beeps. Get back to us when you have.

fastix
Paper Tape
Views: 99
Message 3 of 4

> I suggest you kisten a bit more intently to the error beeps to dicern short and long beeps.

Five short beebs: "CPU failure, CPU on the system board encounters failure" . But i have not opened the device, not changed any piece of hardware and there was no accident. (Only the reboot initiated from the BIOS-update-software.)

luckypunq
Punch Card
Views: 95
Message 4 of 4

The reason I was sceptical of the 5 beeps scenario after lookiing at the beep code list is that CPU failure is typically the least likely problem you will encounter. Typically there will be lots of warning signs before failure (BSOD, random shutdowns, very high temps etc), you have not described those problems.

I you feel competent enough to open the laptop and work on it yourself I suggest cleaning the fan assembly of dust,, whilst you have the system open also remove the cpu/gpu heatsink assembly and clean with isopropyl alcohol applying fresh thermal paste. Also check the internaal CMOS battery and remove and then reseat the memory sticks.

while doing the above give the logic board a thourough examination looking for corrosion/oxidisation water damage, wee dead beasties that have crawled inside the casement (it happens) and give it a general ,spring clean with a soft non static brush. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors