Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vvfsdk
Paper Tape
Views: 554
Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad W530 replacing / cloning msata SSD with / to larger

Hello!

I bought a second hand Lenovo Thinkpad W530 with a 500 GB hard drive and 32GB mSata SSD drive.

The mSATA-drive contains the OS (Win 8.1), something I think was set up by the previous owner.

This obviously doesn't work well, as the C:-drive is constantly filled to 90%, although we do not use it for anything but the OS. As a result, the PC often runs out of memory, slows down or won't show new webpages when a new tab is opened. 

Looking for a way to solve this problem, I decided to buy a bigger mSATA-drive (Kingston SSDNow UV500 - Solid state drive - encrypted - 240 GB - intern - mSATA - SATA 6Gb/s - 256-bit AES - Self-Encrypting Drive (SED), TCG Opal Encryption 2.0 (SUV500MS/240G) Modelnr.: SUV500MS/240G) and a mSATA - USB3 SSD enclosure for the cloning.

Am I on the right path? I also have the option to clone the C-drive, and copy the files from the HDD to a 2,5" SSD and replace the HD with this, as we use only about 100GB of space altogether. However, I tried this, but the SDD was not recognised when I changed the boot sequence.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Cheers, Niels

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 532
Message 2 of 10

Re: Thinkpad W530 replacing / cloning msata SSD with / to larger

When I used a T530 as my primary laptop, I booted from an mSATA drive and used a spinning drive for data.  I am not a big Kingston fan but others like the drives.   I suggest you think about installing a fresh copy of win 10, which, I believe, will activate automatically from the win8 info in the BIOS.  I would pull out the spinning drive before doing this to make sure the boot manager is where you want it and I fear clicking the wrong thing might wipe the wrong drive.  It is always safest to limit the choices during an OS install.  I expect that there may be settings within windows the would have been chosen to accommodate the cramped environment.

win 10 download:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Put the data drive back after windows is installed.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Duderonomy
Punch Card
Views: 516
Message 3 of 10

A couple of things to note...

The User's Guide Second Edition (April 2012) states on page 109...

"Note: If your computer is equipped with both a hard disk drive and an mSATA solid state drive, you are not recommended to use the mSATA solid state drive as a bootable device. The mSATA solid state drive is designed and developed for “cache” function purpose only. If you use the mSATA solid state drive as a bootable device, its reliability is not guaranteed."

Also as I recall, the mSata slot in the W530 is Sata II (3 Gb/s) not Sata III (6 Gb/s), so it it slower than the main HDD and ultrabay ports (which as I recall were both Sata III).

I use a 512Gb mSata in my W530, but only for storage.

W530 i7-3820QM K1000M 32Gb Ram
850 PRO 1TB, 840 PRO 512GB, 840 EVO 500GB mSata
DELL UP3017, DELL U2715H, (both via mDP)
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 509
Message 4 of 10

I may be misinterpreting why you're quoting the User's Guide.  That note referred to the size and technology of the mSATA drives shipped with the laptop.  Many of us have used larger mSATA drives as the bootable primarly OS drive without problems.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

SeniorGuru
Views: 502
Message 5 of 10

My own W530 came with only a 500GB SATA3 HDD spinner back in 2013. No SATA2 mSATA. Win7 Pro x64 pre-installed.

I simply replaced the HDD spinner with a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SATA3 SSD, which back in those days was "big" and "fast".  Cloned the HDD spinner over to SSD using Macrium Reflect (through an intermediate "system image" BACKUP out to external USB 3.0 drive, replacement with SSD, and then "restore" to the newly installed SSD).

The SATA3 SSD is thus used for Windows and data.  Can't beat that.  Just get a big and fast one, and replace the HDD spinner.

Last year I finally decided "it was time", and deleted the Win7 system partitions (MBR, "system reserved" and Win-C) and installed Win10 (1511) from scratch in its place on the same SATA3 SSD. I was unable to install from newer Win10 (1803) USB boot media (built directly from MS downloader) because of what must be some incompatibility between the newer Win10 installer and W530 hardware.  But reverting to the older Win10 (1511) USB boot media the install went perfectly.  And I was then able to update to 1803, and more recently to 1809.

So the W530 can run current Win10 1809. But I had to start by installing Win10 1511.  YMMV.

Anyway, I'd spend the money replacing 2.5" SATA3 HDD spinner with 2.5" SATA3 SSD.  Can't see the purpose of mSATA, but that's just me.

vvfsdk
Paper Tape
Views: 491
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for the replies, you guys are awesome!!!

I think I want to go for replacing the HDD with my 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO.

However, as I mentioned earlier, I already did clone the C-drive to this one and replaced the HDD, but didnt manage to access it after changing boot sequence. Any advice on how this could fail, or recommendations for an alternative way?

SeniorGuru
Views: 489
Message 7 of 10

@vvfsdk wrote:

I think I want to go for replacing the HDD with my 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO.

However, as I mentioned earlier, I already did clone the C-drive to this one and replaced the HDD, but didnt manage to access it after changing boot sequence. Any advice on how this could fail, or recommendations for an alternative way?

What software did you use to "clone" your HDD to the EVO SSD?  And what method / technique?  I only use Macrium Reflect.

You need to clone ALL partitions on the HDD over to the SSD, not just the C partition. Did you do that?  You MUST have an "active" partition (i.e. "system_reserved", typically) with Boot Manager inside.  That's the partition the BIOS boots to, no matter whether partitioning is MBR or GPT.  Cloning the HDD spinner should have produced a duplicate on the SSD of whatever partitioning was on the HDD.

But since you only have one internal 2.5" drive bay, how did you manage to get the HDD spinner over to the SSD?  Did you use an intermediate external USB drive for the copy-out, then swap out the HDD spinner and swap in the SSD, and then do the copy-in from external USB to the now installed SSD?

If you can access the SSD, can you post a screenshot from DISKMGMT.MSC, showing all partitions currently on the SSD and with the text data columns spread so that all the text is visible in the screenshot? 

Duderonomy
Punch Card
Views: 462
Message 8 of 10

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

I may be misinterpreting why you're quoting the User's Guide.  That note referred to the size and technology of the mSATA drives shipped with the laptop.  Many of us have used larger mSATA drives as the bootable primarly OS drive without problems.

regards,

Z.

Z. I ran across that statement in the UG while I was looking for what made me think that the mSata port was Sata2. The statement is "If your computer IS equipped..." (emphasis mine). My W530 is equipped (but did not come equipped) with a mSata SSD. I put it there, not Lenovo. And since the statement is in the section Advanced configuration-Installing a new operating system-Before you begin, it seemed relevant.  I did not realize that there existed any hybrid/special purpose cache only mSata SSDs, so I assumed that the statement regarding the limitations had really to do with the mSata port, not the drive itself, and was maybe just a translation issue and/or manual writer simplification of the issue. My apologies if that is incorrect. Since I never booted from the mSata SSD on my W530, if there had been a W530 mSata boot issue it would not have affected me. I just provided the reference as a data point.

My real point was that I had stuck somewhere in my memory that the mSata port was Sata2 not Sata3. I can't find where I read that but that is apparently not the case. I pulled my W530 out of retirement (I now have a P72), fired it up and ran Samsung Magician, which reports that the mSata 840 Pro is installed in a Sata3 port. My apologies.

Editing reply because I forgot that I had removed the 840 EVO mSata SSD from the W530. Magician was reporting on the 840 PRO in the ultrabay. I will reinstall the mSata and report back.

Reinstalled the 840 EVO mSata into my W530. Magician reports that the mSata port is Sata2 (3Gb/s) not Sata3 (6 Gb/s) as I reported in my original post.

Best regards.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 459
Message 9 of 10

Please, no apologies necesssary.  Lots of members here have had concerns about that mSATA note in the UG, and your reading of it was entirely reasonable.

My intent was only to let other, future readers know that (as best I can determine) that caution only applies to the factory (small) SSD, and not possible user-installed units.

I think we're all on the same page, and thanks for the SATA 2/3 report Smiley Happy

carry on,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Duderonomy
Punch Card
Views: 448
Message 10 of 10

Z. Respectfully, I think that anyone now reading your original reply would assume that there is no difference when booting from the mSata port and either of the other ports on a W530. However the difference in Sata2 and Sata3 would mean that there would be some difference in not only boot speed, but it should have some impact on general performance as well correct? Maybe not a huge difference overall, but if you are looking for the best performance from a W530, you would not boot from the mSata port. Maybe that is what the UG statement really meant without having to reveal that the mSata port is Sata2.

Best regards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors