cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badcrc
Paper Tape
Views: 449
Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad W530 touchpad doesn't work reliably, which part should I replace?

I bought a used W530 with 24 gigs ram, i7 cpu.  I've installed all the latest drivers on lenovo's support.  Everything seems to work great except the touchpad (touchpad did the same thing before I updated anything).  When sliding my finger across sometimes it just stops and the cursor won't move again until I firmly tap twice, almost like the cursor is frozen in place and the taps wake it up.  Other times the cursor will jump to the other side of the screen when scrolling.  Sometimes it clicks with the slightest touch, and other times I have to firmly tap.

I've read most of the issues on this forum but they don't sound like this problem.  This feels like a flakey touchpad.  I see on ebay you can get the touchpad sticker/cover, the entire palmrest with ribbon cables, or the touchpad sensor board.  If I can't fix the issue with software, is the problem most likely the palmrest piece or the sensor board?  I'm assuming the sensor board is what the palmrest plugs into somewhere by the motherboard, but I'm not sure as I haven't torn into it yet and the maintenance manual doesn't show that sensor board.

I'm going to attempt disabling the trackpoint in the driver as I just found that suggestion on the forum and see if that fixes the touchpad.  If that solves the problem, is there a hardware fix for the trackpoint or is that just getting a replacement keyboard?  I doubt that will be the issue since the trackpoint and all buttons work perfectly.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 428
Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad W530 touchpad doesn't work reliably, which part should I replace?

@badcrc wrote:

Everything seems to work great except the touchpad (touchpad did the same thing before I updated anything).  

Just to rule out any driver or software conflict. Try running a Linux Distro like Ubuntu or Mint ouf of a USB drive or optical media too how the trackpad works

If you still have problems then is most likely a hardware issue. I would first check that the trackpad is correctly connected to the system board, for which you will need to remove the first the battery and then keyboard. Check chapter 10 - 1060 from the Hardware Maintenance Manual (source: click here) to remove the keyboard. 

You'll see the connector location on chapter 10 - 1110, page 87 (check that the printer page # on the document).

@badcrc wrote:

I see on ebay you can get the touchpad sticker/cover, the entire palmrest with ribbon cables, or the touchpad sensor board. 

Correct. If the connector is properly attached, you can try replacing the cable or the touchpad, which is glued to the palmrest. The easiest would be to get a new palmrest with trackpad and cables, but will be more pricey of course...

-

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
badcrc
Paper Tape
Views: 410
Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad W530 touchpad doesn't work reliably, which part should I replace?

wrote:

@badcrc wrote:

Everything seems to work great except the touchpad (touchpad did the same thing before I updated anything).  

Just to rule out any driver or software conflict. Try running a Linux Distro like Ubuntu or Mint ouf of a USB drive or optical media too how the trackpad works

If you still have problems then is most likely a hardware issue. I would first check that the trackpad is correctly connected to the system board, for which you will need to remove the first the battery and then keyboard. Check chapter 10 - 1060 from the Hardware Maintenance Manual (source: click here) to remove the keyboard. 

You'll see the connector location on chapter 10 - 1110, page 87 (check that the printer page # on the document).

@badcrc wrote:

I see on ebay you can get the touchpad sticker/cover, the entire palmrest with ribbon cables, or the touchpad sensor board. 

Correct. If the connector is properly attached, you can try replacing the cable or the touchpad, which is glued to the palmrest. The easiest would be to get a new palmrest with trackpad and cables, but will be more pricey of course...

Good idea on the Ubuntu, I will test that first then check connections.  Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors