Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxmustermann12
Paper Tape
Views: 469
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad W530 wont start

Hello,

In September 2016(a few days after end of warrenty Smiley Mad), my W530 suddenly refused to power on(turns off after 1/2s) or charge, so I took out the battery, disassembled it, and of course disconnected the CMOS battery, then after waiting several hours, I reassembled the computer and it worked for about 2 days without an issue, but then it failed again...

Since that I could always bring it back to life(till reboot or shutdown) by "just" waiting.

So my guess is that there is a faulty capacitor somewhere in the powermanagement part.

Any Ideas, where to search, or how to fix it(perhaps I am not the only one)?

p.s. I have an 100mhz oscilloscope, soldering iron etc. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 417
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad W530 wont start

They don't publish circuit diagrams, so it is nearly impossible to diagnose.  Unless it is something very simple, like a power switch, it is nearly impossible to diagnose.  Probably, you are looking at a motherboard replacement.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
maxmustermann12
Paper Tape
Views: 405
Message 3 of 4

I think I will just take some hours testing with the probe, in search of a capacitor not discharing properly...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 392
Message 4 of 4

I have tried that, but was never successful.  It doesn't cost anything to try.  

Sometimes you can also find one that is shorted or burned.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors