Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tj49
Blue Screen Again
Views: 214
Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad W530 wouldn't turn on

Hi, 

I currently have W530 which wouldn't turn on at all. Below is a little bit of background:

Few months ago, the laptop started to turn off all of sudden and turn back on without any particular reason and I could never find anything in Event viewer. After sometimes, it started to do it more frequently and it came to stage where it wouldn't even go past the windows login and shut down and turn back on with continous cycle.

For the above issue, I tried to plug a recovery usb stick to repair the computer and it worked fine for sometimes however it started doing the above again and at the end it would just lit up the power button for a second when I press it but nothing happens afterwards. Just before this issue, laptop passed lenovo diagnostic test aswell.

Looking at this blog https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/ThinkPad-W530-not-turning-on-at-all/td-p... , I disassembled the laptop to try and push the power jack near motherboard with no luck and even unplugged and re-plugged the CMOS battery cable. It would just turn on for few seconds and turn off completly and wouldn't turn back on (just power button light for a second).

I have even tried the static charge release workaround (press and hold power button for 30 seconds while battery is out and turn it back on with battery/power plug attached) as well but no luck. I have also taken out the RAM and Hard drive as well to see if there is a hardware issue.

I am now left with a very expensive out of warranty laptop from well reputated brand, which is completly dead.

Thanks in advance

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 203
Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad W530 wouldn't turn on

Hello,

Given that this model is now seven years old, it may be difficult to troubleshoot exactly what happened.  The progressive nature of the problem makes me think it could be some kind of component failure, perhaps relating to the power or thermal subsystems.  But it could also be an issue with the CPU itself (rare, but it happens) or the motherboard.  I would suggest starting with the more inexpensive to replace and easy to troubleshoot things.

Have you tried replacing the CMOS/RTC backup battery? 

What about testing the RAM and HDD or SSD in another computer?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

tj49
Blue Screen Again
Views: 181
Message 3 of 4

Hi Aryeh, 

Thanks for the reply. 

I haven't tried replacing the backup battery yet, I will order one to try it.

Before it went dead, I plugged the hard drive to another laptop using caddy and SATA cable and I could see all data without any issue. I will give it a go again but I took the HDD out last night to troubleshoot and laptop was still dead. 

testing the RAM on another machine will be an issue as it will void the warranty of the other laptop I guess (i need to check). 

I am guessing changing the CPU and motherboard will be expensive and big job? I might have to reinstall windows which isn't a problem as I have all the data backed up. I bought laptop 4-5 years ago if I can remember right and it would be absolute loss if I have to throw this expensive laptop away. I paid additional sum for some extras. 

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 151
Message 4 of 4

Hello,

In situations like this where it's not clear where the error is, I find it often useful to start troubleshooting by applying the least-expensive/least-time-to-implement fixes, and work my way up to the more expensive and time-consuming ones.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors