Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nsharma
Punch Card
Views: 1,181
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad W541 - Adding Hard Disks

Hi,

I wonder if you can please kindly help or point me in the right direction.

The W541 comes with an internal 500GB SATA hard disk.

- What is the maximum hard disk capacity and physical dimensions allowed for the replacement of the internal 500GB hard disk?

If a replacement 2nd hard disk and caddy is fitted into the DVD drive caddy, which is normally shipped, again what is the maximum hard disk capacity and physical dimensions allowed?

- Are there any procedures requirements from the BIOS or operating system (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit), in preparation of the 2nd hard disk installation via the caddy?

- If replacing the W541's internal hard disk or using a non-Lenovo hard disk caddy, does this affect the W541's warranty status?

Many thanks in advance, for all your support.

With kind regards

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,157
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad W541 - Adding Hard Disks

Welcome to the forum!

@nsharma wrote:

- What is the maximum hard disk capacity and physical dimensions allowed for the replacement of the internal 500GB hard disk?

There's no limitation in capacity that I'm aware of. The internal drive will acommodate any 2.5" drive with a maximum of 9 mm height

@nsharma wrote:

If a replacement 2nd hard disk and caddy is fitted into the DVD drive caddy, which is normally shipped, again what is the maximum hard disk capacity and physical dimensions allowed?

There's no limitation in capacity either, the caddy will accept 2.5" drives with a maximum of 12.5 mm height...

@nsharma wrote:

- Are there any procedures requirements from the BIOS or operating system (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit), in preparation of the 2nd hard disk installation via the caddy?

Nope, is plug and play :-) 

@nsharma wrote:

- If replacing the W541's internal hard disk or using a non-Lenovo hard disk caddy, does this affect the W541's warranty status? 

I don't think so, both are CRU (Customer Replaceable Units), but I'm not 100% sure here, eventually it would be better if you can contact the local Lenovo contacts and ask them about this.

I hope this info helps!

-

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
pjg
802.11n
Views: 1,154
Message 3 of 5

I can confirm the comments from "Tasurinchi".  I had a W541 with two 1 TB SSDs. The system will support whatever can physically fit. You could put two 2 TB SSD drives from Samsung if you wanted.  I also used the CD Caddy to insert a second drive and that always worked perfectly.

nsharma
Punch Card
Views: 1,137
Message 4 of 5

Hi,

Thank you to you all, for the prompt reply. It is highly appreciated.

A few more questions, please....

- Is there a video, which shows how to access the the installed internal 500GB hard disk?

- Will it still be OK to use a SATA 2.5" 7mm hard disk in the caddy, which is normally designed to accept 12mm hard disk. For example a Seagate Barracuda 2TB 2.5", form factor 7mm, 128MB Cache, SAT 6GB/s. Using 2 hard disks of 2TB capacity internal and caddy will give a total of 4TB.

Many thanks in advance, for all your support.

With kind regards.

Guru
Views: 1,133
Message 5 of 5

Hi there! There are parts removal videos here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT505031 . Look for ThinkPad W540 and you'll find the videos. If you're looking for just the hard drive, here's the video: http://download.lenovo.com/lts/RTPW1210/FOF/RTPW1210-W540_REP_FRU_05_HardDiskDrive.mp4

You should be able to put a 7mm HDD in the caddy, just make sure you have some sort of bracket or adapter. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors