Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panther5482
Blue Screen Again
Views: 767
Message 1 of 7

Thinkpad W541 - CPU throttling to unusable speed

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a refurbished Thinkpad W541 that came with Windows 10. On Windows 10, the laptop had some sleep issues that had something to do with the GPU setup and Windows 10 compatibility on the laptop. A clean (non-OEM) Windows 8.1 reinstall later, I fixed the issue but ran into a new one: whenever I unplug the laptop and run it on battery, it immediately locks CPU clock speed on all cores to about 750-780mhz (the bottom of the SpeedStep spectrum for my CPU, the 4910MQ), a completely unusable speed even for YouTube videos and web browsing. No amount of load from any program will make it boost any higher (namely using wPrime).

So I checked the usual power plan options and maxed everything out, but nothing worked. I ended up spending so much time diving into this rabbit hole and trying so many different things that it's easiest for me to just list everything I've tried so far:

1) setting a high performance power plan in windows, and customizing that plan by maxing out all settings
2) setting high performance power mode for speedstep in the bios
3) installing the ThinkVantage PowerManager and maxing out performance options there
4) Following this ArsTechnica thread and installing the Intel CPPC driver, then turning off all the energy effeciency aggressiveness options
5) Checking that temps are ok (they are, under 50c)
6) Using ThrottleStop's BD_PROCHOT tool to stop throttling (Didn't work)

After doing all of these things, I started to wonder what would be causing the throttling instead of tweaking random settings that I'd probably forget about later. So, I started by booting a live Linux USB with the laptop unplugged and monitored core speed using "lscpu | grep MHz." I did not observe any throttling whatsoever. I ruled out the BIOS or some system firmware at this point, though I guess they could still be the culprit. Figuring that the Lenovo power management drivers were causing the issue at this point, I started going through in Device Manager and services.msc and disabling all Lenovo power related services and uninstalling all lenovo power management drivers. No change.

And that brings me to where I am right now. I don't remember the laptop doing this on Windows 10, or even on my current 8.1 install before I installed the power management driver so I could get brightness control working. And interestingly, upon bootup, the laptop doesn't immediately throttle down, but does after a few seconds. It would appear as if a delayed service is controlling it after login, but seeing as I already disabled the Lenovo power stuff, I'm not sure what it could be. Then again, have I properly removed the drivers or not? I guess the "easy" way out for that is a Windows reinstall, but I'd like to avoid that if possible, and I don't really know if that's going to fix the problem. And if the problem is the lenovo power managemnt driver, and I can't tweak it to stop throttling, will I be missing my brightness control?

TL;DR CPU locks itself under 1GHz on battery, completely out of ideas and don't want to reinstall windows., especially if it isn't going to help. Open to any suggestions.

panther5482
Blue Screen Again
Views: 765
Message 2 of 7

Re: Thinkpad W541 - CPU throttling to unusable speed

Whoops repost. On my first post the forum said it was taken down for some reason, so I reposted it and now I can't delete it?
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 751
Message 3 of 7

@panther5482 wrote:
Whoops repost. On my first post the forum said it was taken down for some reason, so I reposted it and now I can't delete it?

Don't worry, is deleted :-)

Edit: Btw, welcome to the forum! 

I haven't noticed and throttling in my W541, but I'm using W10, I'll check my BIOS and Power settings tonight when I'm back home...

-

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
panther5482
Blue Screen Again
Views: 722
Message 4 of 7

Ah. Well maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree by fixing my Windows 8.1 install if the issue doesn't occur in windows 10. While I'd still of course rather not reinstall, I'd rather use Windows 10 anyway - the only reason I'm using 8.1 is because of the sleep issue I mentioned earlier. I'm not exactly sure what questions to ask to fix the sleeping issue, as I'm not in front of a Windows 10 install but stuff like what nvidia driver version you use, whether you use the video driver package from the lenovo website, whether you're on an install from the factory and don't have any problems or whether you did a clean install, would probably be relevant here. And as long as I have the attention of a fellow W541 owner, how do you like the laptop in general? How long have you had yours? Does the battery life ever bother do? The seller on eBay that I bought mine from put a 45Wh battery in basically a fully spec'd model. Probably not the best idea, because with my current setup I only get like 2 hours of battery life at full charge. Maybe that's also because of the settings I've turned on in trying to fix the issue.
Charliekay74
Fanfold Paper
Views: 433
Message 5 of 7

I bought a W541 with i7 and wanted to ask, if there are problems with Windows 10 64bit and cpu throttling on battery or other conditions. I testet a L380 Yoga for a short time. This Notebook throttled the cpu to 0,8 ghz when the power cable was plugged in. I dont want to have this again. I want to use the laptop for audio/music-editing, could it do this job (does it have a loud fan?)

jdos22
Serial Port
Views: 283
Message 6 of 7

After several sleep cycles, my W541 will lock itself into ".78 GHz" when on power- when on battery, it bumps up to much higher speeds. I have to do a "shut down" (and I have Fast Startup turned off because of the Thunderbolt-RAID guaranteed bluescreen: "yay vendor 'supported' (cough) Thunderbolt!) and cold start to get it to behave again.

Then it's fine for days.

Arslan_Qamar
What's DOS?
Views: 142
Message 7 of 7

I solved mine by following these steps : 
1. Shutdown windows 
2. Disconnect Power plug.

3. Take out battery 
4. Press Power button couple of times (laptop wont start as no battery or power but this would drain any remain charge inside mobo)

5. Put battery back in and plug back power (Issue should be solved Now)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors