cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JJAGE
Not applicable
Views: 339
Message 1 of 18

Thinkpad w541 - ThinkAdvantage update ruined the machine. How can I get help?

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 328
Message 2 of 18

Re: Thinkpad w541 - ThinkAdvantage update ruined the machine. How can I get help?

Welcome to the Community

What help do you need?
You've posted a message in another thred
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Security-Malware/Mass-Bios-Firmware-updates-before-pushing-out-Meltdown...

Is that a subject to help?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

JJAGE
Not applicable
Views: 319
Message 3 of 18

Re: Thinkpad w541 - ThinkAdvantage update ruined the machine. How can I get help?

I need to know how to get my machine fixed given that the tag with the serial number is missing and the machine is not bootable after running the Thinkadvantage update process.  I can't start the machine to find the S/N to use for warrantee service.  I believe the ThinkAdvantage update process erased the BIOS and failed to reset it.

thank you

zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 314
Message 4 of 18

For that model the S/N sticker is normally in the battery compartment.  Is that where you are looking?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

JJAGE
Not applicable
Views: 308
Message 5 of 18

It's not there. I did register the machine when I got it in Dec-2017 and got an email offer for an extended warrantee.

richk
Not applicable
Views: 260
Message 6 of 18

If you registered it, you should be able to get the serial number here:

https://account.lenovo.com/us/en/myproducts

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JJAGE
Not applicable
Views: 245
Message 7 of 18

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, my machine is not listed. I thought it was registered given that I got an email offer for an extended warrantee. I am not sure what to do now,
JJAGE
Not applicable
Views: 237
Message 8 of 18

My machine is not listed as registered.  I don't get it! They sent me an email for an extended warrantee, but they have no record of my machine? This is just a terrible experience with Lenovo products. I have been buying thinkpads for 15 years - I just bought my wife a P50. My machine was perfect before the Thinkvantage update.

richk
Not applicable
Views: 219
Message 9 of 18

There must be some identification on the warranty offer.  Do you still have the original box?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JJAGE
Not applicable
Views: 207
Message 10 of 18

The offer is an email and there was no identifying information - I've definitely looked for that.  Since I bought it used from Ebay, I do not have the original packaging or any other documents.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors