Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maniac_2kk
Paper Tape
Views: 762
Message 1 of 13

Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock with Thinkpad P72: USB 3.0 too slow

Dear community,

I am running a Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock with my P72 and I am having a hard time to get some of my realtime USB devices to run properly:

(1) 1080p Webcams: I tested 2 devices (Logitech C930e and Microsoft LifeCam Studio) and both provide an unstable video stream, which is regularly interrupted by distortions. A lower 720p stream with another device (Logitech C270) works fine, though.

(2) Oculus Rift Headset and Oculus Sensor: Does not run at all or with bad tracking performance. Those devices require a stable USB 3.0 connection to function properly.

All of those devices run perfectly when connected to my Thinkpad P72 diretly. So chances are, that the Dock is causing the problems, I have the Dock's latest drivers (v10011) and firmware (04-0E-83_Rev_0083) installed.

Does the Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock actually support fast USB connections (such as high definition Webcams)? Or is it rather likely that my Dock and/or the Thunderbolt cable are damaged?

I have been working on this issue for many hours now. So any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Robert

Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 678
Message 2 of 13

Re: Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock with Thinkpad P72: USB 3.0 too slow

Dear Customer,

Sorry for the trouble to you.

We will try to use our Logitech C920 webcam to have a try. Will see if we can see same issue in lab.

Sincerely yours.

maniac_2kk
Paper Tape
Views: 612
Message 3 of 13

I have identified the issue with the help of an electrical engineer. The issue is an unproper shielding of the Thundebolt port and cable from the 230W power current. Both the cable and the Thunderbolt port run in very close proximity to each other. When the laptop draws power from the 230W power adapter, the USB data stream gets interrupted leading to distortions that are especially noticable in audio-visual streams. Once the 230W adapter is completely removed from the setup, everything works fine.

I have tried two different 230W adapters. Both have caused the same error. Either my laptop is broken or this is a serious design flaw.

Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 562
Message 4 of 13

Dear customer,

thank you for your information.

May I know are you using the 1080p webcams for conference call or just recording video? What is the application do you used ? We are trying to use our Logitec webcams to try your user scanario.

Your further information is helpful.

Sincerely yours.

Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 509
Message 5 of 13

Dear Customer, We have duplicated the video performance issue by recording 1080p video stream with our Logitec C920 webcams. Next , we will engage our electronic engineer to debug. Thank you. Sincerely yours.
kaz911
Punch Card
Views: 499
Message 6 of 13

Dear Lenovo,

it is not the first time that there are issues with USB3 design. P70 has issues as well which are still unsolved.

The BEST and FASTEST way for your electrical engineers to test USB3 performance - is to buy the Saleae Logic Pro 8 or Pro 16. Plug it in and start a sample at full speed. If it survives for more than 120 seconds without an error message - USB3.0 design is working. If it comes up with an error message and lowers the sampling speed - USB3 design is faulty. This test can be done in less than 5 minutes incl. installing the Saleae software.

On the P70 the fault is the matched pairs are NOT matched in lenght as they should be (which is why I sold my P70 - unusable at high speed USB3) - but I gave up on Lenovo actually fixing the issue as it would require the USB daughter boards to be redesigned.

https://www.saleae.com/

P51/P70/X1 Carbon Gen 3/W540/Helix/W520/W510/W700ds/X41t/X60t/X61t/T61p

maniac_2kk
Paper Tape
Views: 498
Message 7 of 13

Hello there,

Sorry for the delayed answer.

I am using the 1080p webcams for video calls with the Skype UWP application (the one that comes with Windows 10). In particular, I am using a Logitech 930e webcam for this purpose.

Please note that an addtional issue has surfaced since my initial post. When using a USB headset (Sennheiser G550) connected to the Thunderbolt Workstation Dock and running a particular video game (Elite Dangerous), there are continuous distortions in the audio stream.

All of those issues go away when switch to the lowest power profile in Windows. So the issue is very likely caused by electrical power interfering with the Thunderbolt port at the P72. So basically, it seems that the more power the P72 draws the more interference there is with everything connected to the Thunderbolt port.

Regards,

Robert

maniac_2kk
Paper Tape
Views: 361
Message 8 of 13

Hello Lenovo,

have been able to make any progress on this issue?

Regards,

Robert

kaz911
Punch Card
Views: 322
Message 9 of 13

I just got my P1 setup with Thunderbolt 3 dock and yes - USB3 is not working correctly.

Built in ports seem relatively fine - but the external ports on the Thunderbolt 3 dock can not run full speed USB3.

P51/P70/X1 Carbon Gen 3/W540/Helix/W520/W510/W700ds/X41t/X60t/X61t/T61p

Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 290
Message 10 of 13

Dear Customer,

We are sorry about the trouble to you.

Could you let me know which Thunderbolt Dock you are using ? 40AN or 40AC ?

and What kind of USB device you are using ? We will try at our side.

Sincerely yours.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors