Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 320
Message 1 of 12

Thunderbolt Drives are Not Listed in BIOS Boot Menu of P72 Xeon

This appears to be a "feature" and not a "bug."  I would very much like to boot from external Thunderbolt drives to work with different operating systems.  I request that Thinkpad engineers update the BIOS to allow seeing external Thunderbolt drives at the BIOS boot menu.

bobbie424242
Token Ring
Views: 288
Message 2 of 12

Re: Thunderbolt Drives are Not Listed in BIOS Boot Menu of P72 Xeon

IIRC there's a "Thunderbolt pre-boot" toggle in BIOS. Did you try enabling it to see it allows to boot on a TB storage ?

Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 277
Message 3 of 12

I did try that in the BIOS.  The Thunderbolt drive still did not show up in the Boot Menu, but--oddly enough--sometimes the system would boot to the Thunderbolt drive--but it's very inconsistent!  Disk Management does show the Thunderbolt drive; if it's listed as Disk 0, it's the boot drive, but normally it's Disk 2 (with my two internal NVMe drives listed as Disk 0 and Disk 1).  Another odd thing is that NVMe0 doesn't always appear as Disk 0, or NVMe1 as Disk 1, which is what I would think it would show.  Anyway, I'm still waiting for a BIOS update to address this issue.  Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 272
Message 4 of 12

Are you talking about a HDD/SSD in a Thunderbolt housing?  Thumb drive?

I would turn off fast boot and see if that helps 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 246
Message 5 of 12

The drive I'm discussing is the external HP P800 256 GB Thunderbolt 3.  So it's an NVMe in a housing.  It's the same exact size as my two internal NVMe drives.  Cloning works better that way.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 234
Message 6 of 12

I don't have similar hardware so I cannot test.  At one point, you said it sometimes shows up in the menu, so I would guess a timing issue.  That's why I suggested turning off fast boot, but, beyond that, I have no suggestions.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 216
Message 7 of 12

Yes, I turned off Quick Boot (turned on Diagnostics)--no help, but thanks for the suggestion.  The next thing I'm going to try is to get a Thunderbolt to USB 3.1 adapter and connect to a USB port on the P72.  

Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 176
Message 8 of 12

I got the Thunderbolt 3 to USB 3.1 adapter and attached the external Thunderbolt 3 drive to it.  The Thinkpad saw that something was there but said that the performance would be limited.  The drive was not listed in Disk Management.  I then restarted and went to the Boot Menu, but the Thunderbolt drive (on the USB port) was not listed.  So this idea failed, unfortunately.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 169
Message 9 of 12

I have never seen any documentation that indicates that this is supposed to work.  Perhaps someone with similar hardware can try it. I would expect an I7 to work (or not work) exactly like your Xeon.

Rich

Transpower
Serial Port
Views: 136
Message 10 of 12

OK, today I ran Rufus to create a bootable USB drive with EaseUS backup/restore on it.  If I have an external Thunderbolt drive attached to my P72, then EaseUS will see the drive, so I could then restore from the Thunderbolt to an internal NVMe drive, should that become necessary.  This is certainly an additional step, but at least I have a method to restore my internal drives if (in the worst case) both should go down.  Nonetheless, I still request that Thinkpad engineers revise the BIOS so that I can boot directly to external Thunderbolt drives!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals