Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

132 Posts

01-06-2008

United States of America

386 Signins

1672 Page Views

• Views: 1672
  • Message 1 of 7

Touchpad vertical scroll horrible or touchpad defective

2013-08-25, 3:02 AM

I just had my new W530 delivered yesterday, unfortunately with Windows 8 Professional.

I noticed that the cursor would not move when I moved my finger across the touchpad or the cursor was "stuck" until I tried a repeat movement with my finger.   I adjusted almost every setting on the latest lenovo driver which provides for windows 8 screen gestures.   The responsiveness to windows 8 gestures does not appear that good, but it is a story for another post.  The main reason for my post is that vertical scrolling barely works in IE 10.

I have all the smart check items disabled and the palmcheck lowered to 3.   I've got the touch sensitivity to light, but have also tried heavy.   I have to push like I'm trying to crack the case to get the cursor to move up and down, and often I will touch the right side of the touchpad and nothing happens or it takes a few tries of swiping to get the window to move up or down.   

I called two support agents and the first one reminded me I have 30 days to return the unit for a refund, and the second guy had me update the driver with the lenovo update  utility which showed the same version as the one I downloaded and installed.  It made no difference.   He then suggested that if I keep the laptop, the trackpad needs replacing.

From looking at some other posts, I really wonder if the pad could be ok, but lenovo is actually selling this thing with a trackpad that performs that poorly.   At the price I paid for the unit, it should have a top of the line trackpad.

Feedback would be welcome, but please remember I have tried playing with almost every setting in the trackpad including the size of the scrolling zones.

Options

554 Posts

06-30-2011

Gibraltar

1350 Signins

3952 Page Views

• Views: 3952
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Touchpad vertical scroll horrible or touchpad defective

2013-08-25, 16:21 PM
On the W520, the two finger scrolling is unusable, it just randomly jerks the window, or not. Tried every trick in the book when I first got my W520, after a couple of months of wasting time gave up and only use it with a mouse. The W520 has the worst trackpad in the history of computing devices (and the worst mic and speakers, or at least worst drivers). If you need a working touchpad, dont by a Lenovo W series.
Options

132 Posts

01-06-2008

United States of America

386 Signins

1672 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2013-08-25, 16:25 PM

The main issue is vertical scrolling when I use one finger along the right vertical border of the touchpad.  Requires tons of pressure and only works sometimes, sometimes it will not "grab" and start scrolling

Options

132 Posts

01-06-2008

United States of America

386 Signins

1672 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2013-08-25, 21:35 PM

I drove over to my local MicroCenter Store and tried the touchpad on a Thinkpad Twist.   The Twist's touchpad did not have the plastic overlay on the touchpad with micro bumps like I have, but the vertical scroll by using one finger up and down the right margin of the touchpad  worked only marginally better.

It appears that Lenovo assumes that everyone will use UltraNav so they apparently are not either using a touchpad that performs well, or the current driver is very deficient.   

I tried the generic synaptics driver but it does not work.

Options

277 Posts

08-01-2008

United States of America

508 Signins

3619 Page Views

• Views: 3619
  • Message 5 of 7

2013-08-25, 23:24 PM

I got better response on my w520 by installing "Two finger Scroll" from here:

https://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/

A LifeHacker post that turned up about the software:

http://lifehacker.com/5493849/get-mac+like-scrolling-and-gestures-on-a-windows-laptop

...and it's helpful on my machine. For example, I often increase the size of font display in web text-heavy articles with CTRL-(two fingers up). I have no idea of its effect on a w530 but pull a Restore Point first and try it. Bail if bogus on that model.

Pretty lame help from the techs.

BTW, you can search here with that sw name because I heard about it in this forum and if there are negatives they woud have been discussed back in late 2011, early 2012 when I was looking into this. Good luck.

4276-37U -- W520. Keeping an X61t just in case.
First laptop in my house was a luggable Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
Options

132 Posts

01-06-2008

United States of America

386 Signins

1672 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2013-08-25, 23:53 PM

The synaptics software has a two finger scroll built in.  I thought it was only for the Windows 8 Metro screen, but it seems to work reasonably ok in an internet explorer window open on the desktop.  It does suffer some lag in getting it to start.   You have to tap down initially with the two fingers to get it to grab before you can apply the scroll with two fingers. 

Options

132 Posts

01-06-2008

United States of America

386 Signins

1672 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2013-08-25, 23:59 PM

It looks like I should have titled this thread as "Vertical scroll with one finger on right vertical edge of the touchpad horrible or touchpad defective"  Otherwise it is not exactly clear what I am saying.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms