Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattm12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,590
Message 1 of 4

Trackpad button stuck

Brand new W540.  Right out of the box the touchpad that doubles as a mouse button keeps getting stuck down in the "clicked" position.  Tried slipping things underneath it, etc.  It doesn't appear to be easy to access it from the bottom of the laptop; lots of components in the way.

Any recommendations?  Some guidance on getting at it from the access panel would be helpful.  The online mantinence manual is poorly illustrated and very difficult to follow.  I don't want to take it apart and not be able to put it back together.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 3,553
Message 2 of 4

Re: Trackpad button stuck

This is not really a valid answer, but if YOU are serious about WORK, I would get an external mouse.

The trackpad is actually an emergency control device when one the road and mouseless. Effectively, the previous mouse trackpad which made IBM Thinkpads famous has been liquidated in favor of Apple doodling.  Good luck with the new order and Microsoft's aim to emulate iOS.

I have tried a bluetooth mouse, but I'm having issues, so I wenr back to a Logitech M705 with a small universal USB key.  This does reduce the number uf USB ports by one, so the W540 is actually reduced to TWO USB 3 ports, as the left two ports are too close together, and any key or USB device may be too big to allow the simultaneous use of two plug in devices.

I did manage to download over 1500 captures (Photo NEF files) from my Lexar USB 3 reader to an external USB 3 LaCie, using Lightroom, at very high speed.  I was in the field, so I did not time the d/l, but it was quick.

Conclusion: W540 has effectively 3 useable ports.  1 USB 2 for the mouse, and 2 USB 3 for real work.   Think carfully. Do due diligence, and do not use HOPE as reasoning.

mattm12
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,540
Message 3 of 4

I had planned to and now have purchased a wireless mouse, but there are many settings in which there's no room to use one, and the trackpad is nice.  It's my new college computer, mostly paid for by a grant, and lecture hall classes without desks make it impossible to use a mouse.  I was mainly upset that it was faulty right out of the box.

However, it's all moot now because other mechanical failures started happening until the computer stopped turning on altogether (yes, I've exhausted the trick book of unplugging, replugging, holding down buttons and resetting).  So I will be returning it to the university for a replacement.  Probably got dropped during shipping or something.

Bauden
Token Ring
Views: 3,505
Message 4 of 4

Let us know how you fare with the replacement.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors