cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rblark12
Paper Tape
Views: 180
Message 1 of 7

Trying to install a new harddrive into my P50s.

I contacted lenovo about getting recovery media and have recieved it. Now it fails at the end everytime i try to recover the computer. This is a work laptop and i really need to get it to work. I have swapped a few hdds before without any issue. Does anyone have any info to help?

rblark12
Paper Tape
Views: 167
Message 2 of 7

Re: Trying to install a new harddrive into my P50s.

Some more info. This computer has windows 7 installed. I have windows 7 recovery media disks. I am using a external drive to install the drives and windows. I get through pretty much the entire setup and then it says recovery failure. Is there something i should be doing to make this work?

Gabo_mty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 122
Message 3 of 7

Let me get this straight

Your Harddrive is dead, so you are trying to replace it with another one.

Once the new Harddrive is installed you are using an External DVD unit to instert the recovery disks and to reinstall windows 7 and drivers, but at the very end of the installation it crashes or displays some error message and nothing was installed at all, am I correct?

If so, It seems you need to modify something in BIOS or the disk you recieved is not working at all.

What I would suggest is to make a bootable usb, this means to "burn" the operative system image into a USB then install it from there.

It is not as hard as it sounds, just look how to do it in google and you will have no problem at all, nowadays laptops have some settings that need to be modified in BIOS in orther to reinstall the operative systems.

Hope this helps

Regards

rblark12
Paper Tape
Views: 102
Message 4 of 7

Unfortunately there is no option to modify the bios. Instead I am trying to install windows 10 to see if that will solve the issue.
Gabo_mty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 93
Message 5 of 7

Ok, hope that helps!
rblark12
Paper Tape
Views: 91
Message 6 of 7

Thank you for your help Gabo_mty! I did get it to work with windows 10. I believe the issue was what you were saying but the lenovo laptop i have doesn't allow you to access the bios and modify. Installing windows 10 was the only option that worked out! And best yet I got a free copy of windows 10!
Gabo_mty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 73
Message 7 of 7

Nice!, glad to hear you solved your problem!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors